Flight Info

Hey All,
I visited Cuenca last June, and intend on returning this next June, in the hopes of buying a retirement home. I flew from Minneapolis MN., to Miami FL.American Airlines was the only carrier out of MSP that was a direct, from MSP to Miami, then on to Quito. LAN from Quito on to Cuenca. It was nice to be able to not have to deal with baggage at Miami, nor worry about connecting flights, the time issues inherent with different carriers, etc. BUT!!!!
With AA in bankruptcy, I'm afraid to book ahead. My concern is that they will fail, and I'll lose my money.
I love flying LAN, and am happy to fly them out of Miami into Ecuador, it just adds another layer of hassle at this end.
Anyone have any thoughts on AA? Seems I hear daily about how poor their on time percentage is, and also switching of flight times on connections.
I must admit I'm surprized that out of MSP, which is an International airport, that only one carrier flies a connecting flight to Ecuador. I'm thinking I might just break down and go through a travel agency this time to deal with all the times issues. Anyone out there deal with a decent agency in the Twin Cities?
Thanks for any thoughts.
Stay Well,
Neil

Might also look into Guayaquil.  It is only a 3 hour van ride to Cuenca.  For 80 usd you can rent a van that will pick you up at the airport and drop you at where you will be staying.  We are doing that at the end of our trip to the States...

That's my plan for the next trip. The biggest reason being, I don't wanna be stuck in Quito for a night. I've heard of the van service out of Quayaguil to Cuenca as low as 12 dollars if you go on a group van. I'm thinking 80 bucks is the same as a flight from Quito to Cuenca. Of course, I'd be eleminating the cost of an over night stay, plus taxi to and from the airport.
Just a hassle in Miami.... wish there were connecting flights I could rely on.
Thanks,
Neil

The benefit is that there is no luggage requirement, they pick you up at the airport.

I found Quito to be too much of a hassle.  Only LAN recognizes that it is part of an international flight.  The rest treat it as a domestic flight with domestic weight limitations.  Another expense.

Don't care for Guayaquil, but the time there is limited.