Room or flat?

Hello guys, I have a question about housing!

If I move to Norway, 172500 NOK NET salary (37.8 overall tax and insurance are already substracted) would be appropiate for me based on my job searches. If I live alone would it be possible for me to rent a small flat not just a room? It's not necessary to live at the city centre and of course it sholudn't be luxurious, but I don't long for living in just a room after a 5 years living in my own flat. Thank you!

Hello brother,

I strongly recommend you to visit a Norwegian site called www.finn.no

Based on this site I will give you two direct links to different places on the same site.

Direct link to flats: http://www.finn.no/finn/realestate/lett … eaId=20061

Direct link to rooms:
http://www.finn.no/finn/realestate/lett … eaId=20061

On the first link I see the first post is a 29 m2 flat for 9000 NOK monthly and it is partly furnished - you could afford that.

On the second link I see a 11m2 room in a shared flat for 6600 NOK.

Possibly if you ask me I would choose the shared flat option for some time, because it's cheaper and you have access to more space.....

Hey,

thanks for the links! Are the overheads eg. electricity included generally in the ads' prices?

Bye, have a nice day!

You see, the ads are all in Norwegian, but they will specify what they include/exclude.

The word "Faciliteter" means facilities as you would probably have guessed, and some of the meanings of the words are similiar in English. Often however, it is not clear for a non-Norwegian speaker to know and therefore I suggest you ask ... but I can tell you that the Norwegian word for electricity is "elektricitet".

I would say in almost all of the cases they exclude these things from the price.

The way to contact them is by filling in your details to the right after having clicked on the add - it asks for name and email , and then you can send them an email via the website and they usually do reply within anything from less than 1 hour to 2 days because they are usually desperate wanting to let out their room...

N.B: In Norway they usually ask for a 3 months deposit - again this will be specified in the add and if you cant read it then send them an email in English.

You could also try running the page thorough Google Translate. It's pretty good at doing Norwegian to English, although obviously not perfect. I would agree that rent usually does not include much. Not many placed would include electricity. I would think given your salary, that a room would be best. Things are so expensive in Oslo, that you will need all the money you can get. As new_in_norway points out, even a small flat costs a fortune, and that's before you pay for electricity, tv and whatever else you might need.

install the google translator plugin on google chrome.

then you can translate the web page as they load instead of copy pasting on google translate.

translations can be 70% accurate but you will get the idea.

thank you guys! Actually I'm learning norwegian for 1 year now, not with a big intensity, but I get the idea. Some people said that to study norwegian in norway is very expensive. I've started studying bokmål from the på vei book and via internet. So I've searched the portal, thak you all.

Another question: bokmål or nynorsk? what if I go to Bergen instead of Oslo?

Oh, yes, and an other one: somebody pointed out that in Norway, I'm assumed as an eastern european (or balkanian) and they may consider that I'm not reliable regarding the payment issues so maybe it would be a problem for meg to negotiate. What do you think?