Cost of Living

Hi,
I have applied for a position in Zanzibar, and was wondering if anybody could assist with the following (yes, I know they sound silly).

1) How much are cigarettes, and I read its illegal to smoke in public.
2) Is english widely understood.
3) What is the official newspaper (is it online).
4) How much would a cold beer cost (supermarket).
5) What does the staple local meal consist of.
6) I read Churches were burnt down???
7) Refer to 6, is safety an issue?
8) Cost of healthcare (basic doctor visit/hospital emergency)
9) What would the correct way be to greet a local.
10) Is there any action, or words that would be deemed disrespectful, or I should NOT do.

The position is on a resort, and I doubt I would ever really venture out of it, however I do like to do my homework.

Please could everyone mention any negatives, that would be appreciated.

Thanks for all your help,

Debbie

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Debbie!

Hope other members will be able to help you out.

Regards
Armand

Hi Debbie - hope you keeping well and on your job.
I just joined the blog very recent. i presume you may not have all the answers, perhaps my answers can help. MY ANSWERS IN BOLD......

1) How much are cigarettes 3,000/- TO 4,500/- A PACK  , and I read its illegal to smoke in public. - YES.

2) Is english widely understood - NOT QUIET WIDELY.

3) What is the official newspaper (is it online) - DAILY NEWS. Try GOOGLE DAILY NEWS - TANZANIA.

4) How much would a cold beer cost (supermarket). 3,000/- TO 5,000/-

5) What does the staple local meal consist of - FLOUR / BEANS / FISH OR MEAT.

6) I read Churches were burnt down??? YES. SAD !

7) Refer to 6, is safety an issue? AT TIMES, PARTICULARLY ON FRIDAYS. THE SUNNI MUSLIMS AFTER OFFERING THEIR FRIDAY PRAYERS GO OUT ON THE STREETS.

8) Cost of healthcare (basic doctor visit/hospital emergency)
IN A PRIVATE HOSPT:
BASIC DOC 5,000/- TO 10,000/- PER VISIT
EXPERT DOC: 20,000/- TO 30,000/- PER VISIT
HOSPITAL EMERGENCY - DEPENDS THE NATURE OF THE EMERGENCY. BUT I GUESS THE SMALLEST OF EMERGENCIES THE BILL WOULD GET ANYWHERE BTW 150,000/- TO 200,000/-
THE AMBULANCE USED TO COST 500,000/- 2 YRS AGO

9) What would the correct way be to greet a local. JAMBO or HABARI YA ASUBUHI (for Goodmorning)
HABARI YA MCHANA (for Good afternoon)
HABARI YA JIONI ( for Good evening)
KWAHERI - Goodbye

10) Is there any action, or words that would be deemed disrespectful, or I should NOT do.
DRESS MODESTLY WHN OUT ON THE STREETS. GREET FIRST BEFORE YOU ENGAGE IN A CONVERSATION WITH A LOCAL PERSON (thats normal with anybody). TANZANIANS IN GENERAL LOVE TO BE RESPECTED, AND WILL FIND IT WEIRED TO SEE ONE NOT EXCHANGE GREETINGS.

THATS' ALL TO IT. I HOPE THESE HELP YOU. ! CHEERS!

AL

Hello Altaf Alidina -> Thank you for these informations but can you please low your caps lock when writing so as to ease the reading? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

English newspapers are The Guardian,Daily nEWS,tHE Citizen,african

English is spoken but swahili is the major lingo.

Staple meal consists of rice,chapati,corn/maize flour,fish,bananas,chips,eggs and chicken

I would say the prices for beer differs from 2000-5000 TSH, depending on the place, the same with cigarettes, I bought 20 packets á 20 cigarettes each for 25 000 TSH so, sometimes almost only 1000 per package. And I really didn't know it's illegal to smoke in public, I've seen people doing it all the time.

And about the staple meal, on almost evert local place you can get wali (rice) or ugali together with samaki (fish), nyama (meat) and/or maharage (beans) and sometimes kuku (chicken).

Congratulations for moving to Zanzibar, it's such a great place!