Is it possible for a single man to live on $900/month iin Alexandria

Retired fixed income single man who wants to relocate to Alexandria. My pension is 900 USD. Is possible to live in a decent neighborhood and correctly without any lavish lifestyle or extravagant expenses.

I mean a normal furnished appartment, some dining out, and some fun.

Andy

yes sure $900 is very enough :)

Really depending of the price of the rent! I suggest to try it for a few months, but do not anything definitive at the moment.

more than enough :D

really from my experience and the way everything is increasing in price - I would have said no!!

Probobaly anyway I would have said no.

You will not be able to eat out where you like / have fun on this kind of money.
Yes many epople here in EGypt live on this and less - but they are not looking to have the kind of lifestyle i would want to have if I moved here in my retirement.
T least half od you money surely has got to go on rent - then you have all the utilities - and of course stuff like your mobile and internet connections.
What is left - enough for foul and tamaya!!

Wouldn';t be enough for me.

900 USD would be considered a 'fat salary' for most Egyptians who will e just happy to earn 300 USD.

The reason why many expatriated might go over budget, is due to some choices the make concerning their rented accommodation.

If you live in a tourist/serviced apartment on monthly basis you will be wasting money unnecessarily. So if you do plan to retire in Egypt, you might considering purchasing a property starting at 20,000 USD or rent an unfurnished flat on yearly basis.

Apart form Alex, you might consider the Red Sea zone, cities such as El Gouna and Hurghada, to avoid being touched by unrest.

You can rent a studio in Hurghada for less than 100 USD per month.

you are retiring - you have worked all your life - why would you put yourself in the position of not having a good atandard of life
you are getting older - you may need medical help - here you pay for it all
you want a few luxuries - things that you may buy at home - expensive

over the next 6 months (and the last few months) the price of everything is going up
gas, electricty, water and food, petrol.

yes 50% of Egyptians live on this and far far less - but they grow up not expecting more and (unfortunately) and know how to do it -but I am sure that you would not want to live where they live, eat what they eat and have the lifestyle that they have!!

Especially at this present moment in time - I would say don't come

If USD900 is enough in your actual location and depending on you lifestyle, i believe should be enough in a country with an economy as Egypt has. I am thinking of moving there also. It is a new job that I will have there as it was proposed not a long time ago. I haven't accepted yet because I am under analysis on whether I should come or not. I have been to Egypt only once, but I think this amount of money should be enough. I repeat, depending on your lifestyle. Good luck!

look - you haven't been here yet - and don't know the costs of everything - and how the costs are goin up daily - yet you are advising someone else to come!!

That is not right.

Everyone is giving their advice based on thbeir experiences - and experience tells me that if you want to have a decent standard of livng - good place to live, nice clothes, good food and some fun.
Maybe fly back to your home country - it isn't enough.

Many EGyptians will advise you that yes it is enough - but that is becuase they run thier live on much less - but I am sure that the lifestyle they expect is not what I would expect for me!!

I couldn't do it on that money.
I couldn't live in the place that I would have to!!
I couldn't watch every penny I spend on food.
Go to the cheapets restaurants to go out.  ANd I am sure alot of people will tell you the same.

Prices are rising - everywhere - but especially here in EGypt.
My electricity bill this month was double waht it has previously been due to the increase - gas has gone up considerably. Petrol is increasing - as are the latest service hit - mobile phones.
Taxes are rising on everything (it was only just ebfore christmas that it was put forward that they will increase the tax on such luxury items as cans of soda).

But please don't give advice on something that you have no experience of.

2013 will see alot of increase and unrest in EGypt.

The government has to do certian things - increase certain things as the pot of gold is empty and they need to qualify for an IMF loan - so prices will rise - no question about it.

Retired person - generally in need of more mdeical attention / medicines - money!

If you are determined to come - just make arrangements to do it for a couple of months - but also think about what kind of visa you are going to get - a tourist (they are clamping down - so who's to say that you won't get one - be successful in extending it a few times - then they refuse - stay here illegally - with no right and no way to open your month about anything becuase you are under the radar.

Police checkpoints all over for cars (daily occurence here in EGypt - they check your ID - your visa, etc. you are in trouble.
openng a bank account - no visa - with alot of banks now not possible.

But these are just some things you should thnk about in my humble experience after living here for some years (and yes I earn far mre than $900!!

Oh yes - what ECONOMY???
Egypt doesn't hae an economy right now - hence why the bowl is empty and they are after loans everywhere!!!!

I am really sorry to have interfered,. I do not advise anyone, I only shared my opinion. It's true I do not have experience with living in Egypt. I expressed my opinion based on the analysis I am doing regarding life in this country. I do not want to open a bank account in Egypt, only to know what bank i can use related to a bank account in my country in order to use the card in Egypt. Many apologies again for interfering. Regarding my visa???? Hmmmm, I am married to an Egyptian, so????

You can live comfortably in Egypt with 900 USD per month, without watching every cent.
As I mentioned before, some expatriates might not be able to negotiate fair rental prices, an get basically ripped off.

900 USD are roughly 6000 EGP. It is more than an average Egyptian manager would earn.
You can rent a brand new 110 sq m. flat in Hurghada for as little as 1200 EG.

You will spend about 1500 EGP for food and 20 / 40 EGP for electricity.

This will leave you with about 3000 EGP spare money every month.

The property price went down, while food slightly increasing due to low foreign currency reserve.

But you have to bare in mind that things are very cheap here comparing to EU or USA.

You will spend only 7 EGP for a gas cylinder that will last about 5 months!

biffy wrote:

look -If you are determined to come - just make arrangements to do it for a couple of months - but also think about what kind of visa you are going to get - a tourist (they are clamping down - so who's to say that you won't get one - be successful in extending it a few times - then they refuse - stay here illegally - with no right and no way to open your month about anything becuase you are under the radar.

Police checkpoints all over for cars (daily occurence here in EGypt - they check your ID - your visa, etc. you are in trouble.
openng a bank account - no visa - with alot of banks now not possible.

But these are just some things you should thnk about in my humble experience after living here for some years (and yes I earn far mre than $900!!

You are describing a situation that is only applicable to Cairo. Egypt is a very big country.
A EU / USA citizen can easily get up to 1 year extension. (6 months, extendible another 6 months, or 1 year visa).

Nobody is under scrutiny here, unless they have an international warrant one has really nothing to fear. You can easily open a bank account while on a tourist visa, especially if you know somebody.
Six months stamp required. Police does not even bother to check foreign visa, maximum they will open the page with your personal details. The  police checks are applicable to Cairo and area where there are protest. NB. Not all nationalities are treated equally. USA & Western EU seem having sort of immunity. Russian and eastern european might face some discrimination.

Nobody on the entire Red Sea coast witness such situation. The situation you describe is a bit 'apocalyptic'. Visa are extended even when expired after 'years'.

With all due respect to Biffy's opinion, Egypt does have an economy, and a strong one as well, the poing is that what she might be not that aware of, is that there are 2 Economies in Egypt, the Official one, and that's the sick one, and after international loans, and attracting Foreign Direct Investments, and the Unofficial One, and that's what we could feel its existence but not see it on official books and taxes, in most of the Western Countries, the Official Economy is much stronger and bigger than the Unofficial one...Yet, in most of Developing Countries (Egypt is part of that world) the Unofficial Economy is the real one, and that's mainly due to the bad management of the Governments, and unefficient governmental programmes...

However, I do agree with Biffy about the point of concern that US$ 900 per month, might be insufficient for a retired expatriate...as it all depends on each one desired lifestyle...

I live in Hurghada and 900 dollars per month are more than enough.

There are people in the USA who do NOT earn this amount, and life there is much more expensive.

How a single man cannot live with 6000 ghini per month in Egypt!

What are you doing guys to spend this amount of money in a country where family might survive on less than 100 dollars per month?

They won't suffice only if you go to bars in 5 stars hotels, or buy high fashion brands.

The original post was about ' a non lavish lifestyle' and descent neighbourhood.

I feel some people are not giving a correct advice to Andy.

Anybody will be better off with 900 dollars in Egypt than in any other country. Actually it is the most feasible and low cost destination for retiring.

Come Andy!

True food prices are slightly increasing, but those who will be really affected are the poor.

Once the IMF loan deal will be completed, prices will go back to normal.

Secondly, when we talk about increase we must not forget to mention what is the starting price.

You can find price comparison at:

http://www.mytravelcost.com/Egypt/gas-prices/

Ok Ok

you all seem to think that it is enough - I bow to your knowledge!!!

As for getting 'ripped off' with rebtal prices and all that - doesn't happen to me - sorry to disappoint!  I just hsve an Egyptian husband blah blah blah!!
You are right ericabrio - you don't need a visa to come into the country - but unless you are an Egyptian passport holder you need a visa to work and to stay here!!! (and if you are working without a visa - then you are illegal - good for that one)

As for focus on on expats - this is happenig all over - ' not just in Cairo' - so enjoy as it gets tougher!!

But hey - what do I know - have only lived here and been coming here for 12 years +!!

And just ebcause some people manage on less than this - doesn't mean that if you were retired you would want to live that way!!

It is common for foreigners to work on 6 months and one year temporary residence. Although it is technically illegal, it is a tolerated practice. Depending on the nationality, the person won't go really into any trouble.

Alexandria and Cairo passport offices are kind of stricter while hurghada is kind of lose in comparison. The majority of western foreigners do not have any problem renewing their visa. While Russians and eastern EU might experience some discrimination.

Did anybody ever heard of a westerner being deported for overstaying their visa? You will pay 200 EGP fine and that's it. If you are let's say Indian, you would incur some additional travel and a national security interview.

As Seif elfin explained very well, there is a parallel economy, and I can add there is a parallel immigration and job market.

Anybody who has lived in the country long enough, will now that law here is something provisional.
It is about whom you know, not what the rules are. They are easily broken and twisted to suit those who have power.

You might have been into the country for 12 years, but your situation seems rather peculiar.
Millions of Egyptians make it on 400 USD per month, but you can't survive on 900 USD.
In small towns and villages if you earn 200 USD per month, you are considered well off.

why peculiar - I live here I have a life here - I don't get ripped off - and I work!!!

I don't live the life of an EGyptian becuase I am expat - and yes millions survive (note the word survive) on far less than this
but during your retirement you want to survive!!?

my life is the same as many people in Egypt - and the view on many occasions is difffeent than the average Egyptian - becuase even though my Husband is - I am not!!

siasou wrote:

more than enough :D

not enough you think as Egyptian but for not Egyptian pay more for rent

Wow your attitude really does leave a lot to be desired, this is a public forum for people not just to advise but to give a point of view, maybe you was having a bad day because you normally come across very civil

Also Biffy this man is talking about Alexandria, you are in Cairo as i see, but really that was extremely rude the way you spoke to Mona, really no need for it.

So Alexandria is in a different world then -  a little bubble not related to Egypt!!!

Of course I have never been to Alexandria - of course I have have!

And with all due respect spreston - not rude - just honest!!

But of course - I would receommend that he come for a short time and try to see what life he can get for the money.

ANd the person is on a fixed income - so some of this money needs to be saved for a rainy day - or medical care! flights back to his home country - still stand by my opinion that it's not enough!

With the run down of costs above you forget internet connections mobiles etc.

Again I reiterate - comfortable lifestyle with some little luxeries - not surviving just because millions of others have to!!

ANd no I don't get ripped off - my arabic is way good enough not to allow it to happen - with rents or otherwise.

Biffy i must say, if you read your posts you sound like
someone who is jumping up and down on the spot screaming.

There really is no need to be so petulant, this is a public forum for people to give views, you are treating it like you own the forum, you are the headmistress and we are your pupils,, not the case i am afraid, chill out pills are advised.

@ spreston: You are complaining about Biffy, but since you are living in Alexandria, can you tell the topic starter Beznas if it is possible to live on $900 in Alexandria??

"jumping up and down screaming"!!!!!

not me - maybe you.

But a good point was raised above - please share with us your thoughts on living on $900 in Alex.

What are the major outgoings / expenses - what kind of rent can he expect to pay in a reasonable area? What areas would you reccommened?

Geely,

This is a forum if am i not right, for people to chat, put across views that may not always be 100% correct as well as advice.
My gripe with biffy is not the advice/ knowledge that she provides because this is 100%, it is the way she always seems so very angry and is so quick to tell someone off,, nearly all sentences from biffy end in 1 or 2 exclamation marks.
I myself am moving to Alexandria area in about 4 weeks so i have no knowledge of the area, only what i have read and pick up from people on here, but everyone has different views, at the end of the day it is up to the person asking the question to make their own mind up. Simple, this it what forums are for.

!!!!!!!!!!!!! exclamation marks are for emphasis / surprise - not anger!!

THAT'S WHAT CAPS ARE FOR.

and stop griping - if we all commented on our gripes it would be a very boring forum.
you're not here to gripe - very correctly you are here to share / comment

If you don't like exclamation marks - start a new trhead - ebcause for sure we are off topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you are !! :)

Could we please calm down here?

Thanks
Armand

totally calm - as always

be cool guys
900$ not enough u need at least 2000$ to live and have fun
u can live with 900 normal life

beznas wrote:

Retired fixed income single man who wants to relocate to Alexandria. My pension is 900 USD. Is possible to live in a decent neighborhood and correctly without any lavish lifestyle or extravagant expenses.

I mean a normal furnished appartment, some dining out, and some fun.

Andy

Life is too short to spend it worrying buddy :) go for whatever makes you happy!

People can accommodate to live with minimal income and 900$ is not even close to what people spend around here!

Have pleasant day!

rent is usually about 3500 LE for foreigners which is about 350 uk pounds - about 500 $ I think. Food, taxis, outings etc are cheap. If you want a book on living in Alex, I made one for our foreign teachers - send your email and I will email it. My husbands company: [moderated: no free ads pls] do really cheap and excellent quality pick ups and a range of tours if you need any advice or help.