Possible move to Phnom Penh

Dear all
I have been following forums on Thailand for the last 2 years and thought I would love to retire in 2015, when I am over 50yrs. However I am now seriously thinking of next year. As I will be only 48 I can't retire in Thailand so now I am considering Cambodia.
I have been spending approx 2 hrs per day establishing facts, especially from this forum but just wish to ask the simplest of questions please..

Q. If I was to decide to leave the UK next year and get on a plane to Cambodia, I would firstly stay in a b&b in Phnom Penh for about a month until I get to know things a little, then rent an apartment in BKK1 or similar. Apart from the visa on arrival what other necessities do I need to look into.

I know the above is a general question, but with all my time I have spent on forums etc, I can't seem to think of any major issues in me doing what I have 99% decided what to do.

Many thanks for any advice

Howie

Once you have found a good guest house, you search for an apartment as you mention, there are plenty of real estate businesses here.

As you are aware also, you should get to know the city and Cambodia in general, I have found that expats here find their place either in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, people seem to like one of them more than the others.

Some people find one of the 3 places either boring or just not for them, I like all 3 but cannot live in Siem Reap, I visit Sihanoukville some times, some people who live in Phnom Penh hate Siem Reap and never go there, you will understand this when you live here, its just the way it is.

You may need to obtain a SIM card, that's easy, you may need the internet in your apartment, you can gave it setup or buy a dongle, also you may need a bank account and debit card, again that's okay but you may need to wait for your visa extension first as most bank here require at least 3 months on your visa.

Find the food places you like, the bars you like and get to know the traffic and understand the culture here.

You could even take a 3 month contract on an apartment to try it out, you may not like the area or the noise level, take things easy, don't rush, don't get tied down without being sure.

Phnom-Penh-Services

Again, many thanks for some great advice. As I said I have researched Thailand as much as anyone possibly can in the hope of retiring in 2 years time. However I don't think I can wait that long, as the stress of running ones own company and living in the UK, have both made me realise that there is more to life than this. It's ok having a great job, friends and a lovely home, but if you are unhappy and you long to be somewhere else, then you have to give it a try, as I also have no dependants.

Thanks again for all your advice

Howie

Dear all

I know the following is a very very basic question:

1.If I were to get on a plane and fly to Phnom Penh next year

2. Obtain a business visa on arrival

3. Stay in a B&B for a couple of months

4. Maybe then move to an apartment up to $300 per month

5. Renew visa as and when required

6. Have approx $20 per day to spend on food and drink

7. Stay for at least a year, then decide whether or not to move to Thailand once 50yrs old

I know the above is a basic list, I have been researching Thailand for years and due to my thoughts of moving to SE Asia sooner I have recently decided to research Cambodia.

Is the above list feasible and have I missed something obvious out.

Many thanks for any help

Howie

You are good to go

Phnom Penh Services

Thanks again, didn't know what to expect as an answer to my previous post, but because of my research into Thailand I had fairly good idea. Cambodia is obviously different in relation to minimum criteria for retirement, Ibut i had to some extent researched the subject (now about 4hrs per day) but I didn't know whether I had missed something major out of my very basic list.

I am sat here smiling ( doesn't happen often) knowing that my little dream could actually become reality....soon.

Thank you again, you have been a wonderful help

Howie

Hello Howie,

I can't say enough about following your heart. Get away from whatever is making you miserable and head toward the sunshine and people who smile. My husband and I moved here three years ago and have never looked back.

There is no such thing as a wrong decision.
Good luck. And go for it!