Shopping in Chetumal?

Hi Everyone

So we made it. We are here until April, we have found an apartment but need to purchase some household items like dishes and sheets. We have had mixed answers on whether it is worth it to shop is Chetumal. Some say it is alot cheaper and some say it is not really cheaper when you factor in the cost of transportation, exit tax from Mexico and duty you pay on products you buy.

Thoughts?

:)

What area did you move to, Cherrie Red? For me, up here in Cayo, it doesn't make sense to go over to Chetumal. I head to either Spanish Lookout or Belize City for my sheets and towels. Or sometimes, I'll have my "shipping mules" (i.e. visitors lol!) bring them back for me.

Also, since Guatemala is only 15 minutes away, I can head over to the first town over the border, Melchor, and find quality stuff there too.

You can find great dishware at A&R, whose stores can be found in most major towns in Belize.

If you are in Corozal, then it may make sense for you. Just remember to keep your receipts and show customs your purchases. The Mexico exit tax only applies if you stay seven days or longer.

Wealthships wrote:

If you are in Corozal, then it may make sense for you. Just remember to keep your receipts and show customs your purchases. The Mexico exit tax only applies if you stay seven days or longer.

Except that they made us and all other holders of non-Belizean passport holders pay it after only being in Chetumal for 1/2 day.  It's a well-known scam, Mexican Immigration is corrupt, and we had no choice but to pay it ($25 US).  Read about our day in Chetumal on our blog here:

BeBelize Blog - Day trip to Chetumal

Now there's a new exit fee for Belize non-residents, so it's gotten even more expensive to go to Chetumal for the day.  Read about it here:

SanPedroScoop new exit fee

Because of these fees, and because we learned that it is not allowed to bring back liquor from "border towns" (we were let through this time b/c we didn't know, but next time might not be so lucky), we will not be planning any more day trips to Chetumal.  It's worth doing once for the experience, though, especially if you have a lot to buy, thus decreasing the impact of the fees.

Sorry to hear you paid to exit, as it just encourages them to try it with everyone.  I personally refuse to pay, I just laugh and "say nice try" (I speak Spanish with them) and they just smile and let me go through.  Most times they don't try this scam, but when they do I refuse and have never paid.
Got mad at my son and his friends recently when they told me they "had to pay" he new better.  But hen again he doesn't speak Spanish.

That sucks, Emily! Mexico is not supposed to be doing that. They didn't do it to us when we went over in January of this year - it might be a hit or miss thing, but still.

And yes, thanks for mentioning the Belize exit fee - so many fees, I think it's cheaper to stay here.

corozal dave wrote:

Sorry to hear you paid to exit, as it just encourages them to try it with everyone.  I personally refuse to pay, I just laugh and "say nice try" (I speak Spanish with them) and they just smile and let me go through.  Most times they don't try this scam, but when they do I refuse and have never paid.
Got mad at my son and his friends recently when they told me they "had to pay" he new better.  But hen again he doesn't speak Spanish.

Dave, believe me, we tried everything not to have to pay.  We outright refused to pay, told them we knew it was not required, we had not been in Mexico for seven days.  We then walked away and towards our ferry without paying but after he gave us the stamp.  We thought we got away with it, but then they RAN after us and caught us right before boarding the boat.  The police with machine guns were standing there so we didn't feel we could argue.  The ferry was about to leave and we were in their country.  They got all of us US citizens.  Believe me, we didn't pay willingly AT ALL. 

We don't speak much Spanish, and the Immigration officer seemed to speak almost no English (or was faking), so I am sure that didn't help.  But he would NOT let us by and had two helpers with him to ensure we paid.  We were PI**ED and were with others who had the same experience.  So please don't imply that we paid willingly with a smile and thus made things worse for you and others.  It may be that we just got a different officer than you that day.

CaribeGal, I'm sorry that my comments were taken or should I say made in the wrong way.  I in no way meant any type of person attack on you.  From the sounds of it, you did everything you could under the circumstances to stand up for your rights.  But with the boat waiting and you not able to communicate in Spanish, sounds like you had no choice but to pay.  I'm always driving and have all the time in the world to stand up for my rights.
So once again, sorry for my use of words.
BTW, starting reading your blog and I'm enjoying....thanks for sharing.

You know, Dave, you just confirmed what I was thinking. I was driving over the border as well and never got charged (the subject didn't even come up in my case). I wonder if the Mexican authorities are targeting expats on the ferry? Or maybe it is a "bad luck of the draw," as Caribe Gal says?

corozal dave wrote:

So once again, sorry for my use of words.
BTW, starting reading your blog and I'm enjoying....thanks for sharing.

No problem, Dave.  I just wanted to make clear how hard we fought the scam.  We knew we were in the right and that we were being taken as no one holding a Belizean passport was forced to pay.  From what you and Sharon say, it's probably likely that they are targeting Americans leaving Mexico by ferry.  It really left a bad taste in our mouth and diminished our desire to make any more Chetumal shopping trips.

Glad you're enjoying the blog!

if you have a waterfront lot in corozal or san pedro,you only have to check in with mexico customs upon arrival, am i correct?so if you purchase goods and then leave mexico, you then do not have to go through their customs again only belize customs.but if you are travelling by boat and land at your own property,who is to know any better.if you travel by car you then have to be checked by belize customs at the border.so if you had property on ambergrise caye and had a boat,why wouldnt you go to mexico for gas,groceries,supplies,etc.am i correct.this is similar here between canada and the states on the st lawrence river,theres so many boats here,no-one gets checked,only if you land at a public dock or marina.anyone who travels between belize and mexico please let me know of their experience,thanks.