Moving to PR on ssd

My wife and I are looking t moving to PR ( possibly vieques) . We both get Social Security disability ( we are still in our 50's e

between the 2 of us we get about 1900 dollars a month.   Will we be able to have a comfortable life ?

or will we need more to get by on?

I would prefer to live in a community where there are english speaking folks about . My wife is from PR and is fluent in spanish.

thanks

You could live here on $1,900 but if that will be a comfortable life depends on what you are used to.

Many expats on high salaries will say it's impossible but their standards are different.:)

You could rent a simple place on Vieques for 5, 6 hundred dollars.
Water and electricity would be around 175 dollars if you don't use A/C, around 250 dollars with a window unit in the bedroom that you use only a couple of hours at night.
Add 100 dollars per week for basic food.
Telephone depends on what you want - a DSL-landline combination starts at 25 bucks; cell phone starts at around 40 dollars or so.
I don't know what you'd have to pay for medical plans since you are on ssd.
You would need a car I assume. Monthly payments are from 200 dollars for a small car.
Sat. TV or cable is something like 40, 50 dollars for the basic package.

You would have some money left for buying clothes, grab a burger in a fast food joint every now and then.

There are English speaking people to be found all over the place but most of them live in the expensive gated communities where you would have to spend 1500 bucks or more to rent an apartment.

I would recommend to come over for as long as you can afford and check out some places to see if you would like to live there.

thanks Gary for the advice ! Iris has  her insurance through medicare and I use the va for mine. From what you are telling me it looks to be affordable for us .

Gary is absolutely spot on and may I also suggest you look into the west coast? Or the mountains? I know that even in the town of Mayaguez the VA has a decent Hospital and thanks for your service, by the way. The west coast as well as the mountain area are more laid back, less hectic and all but you still get a Walgreens around the corner and Wally World open 24/7, it's amazing this PR o' mine.