Ex-Pat Diversity in Cuenca

I'm an African-American contemplating a move to Cuenca. Can anyone who lives there give me some insight on what this might mean there? I have traveled pretty extensively around the world, but I've never been to Ecuador. And visiting is not like living. Thoughts/insights would be helpful.

Hi, If your concern is racial discrimination, have no fear. I am not white myself and have suffered discrimination on account of this in many countries, Germany being the worst, but Ecuador has welcomed me and given me equal opportunity in every field. That is the main reason I love this country so much. You are accepted and respected here as per your professional competence and as per your own conduct.

So, the bottom line, I do not think you need to be concerned about your African-American descent. It would not be of any consequence in how people here react to you or in the opportunities you are offered.

Cheers,

Sam.

Thanks, Sam. Your post was really helpful.

The sad think is ecuadorians discriminate his own indian and black population but they're OK when they come from the States.

you will be just fine. There is actually here a large population of African origin specially up in the Esmeraldas Province which are that province trademark in the rest of Ecuador. They will most likely take you as one :) This is a very friendly country.

Samgeets nailed the whole racial thing. I have worked with quite a few races and nationalities in my life and I learned that you judge a person by how they are and not what they look like. I am a tall skinny white guy. Would you judge me on how I look or how I respect you as a human being? When we go to a foreign country, we all are the ones that are different.  Just act accordingly and you will be okay. Best of luck