Cost of living, Bandar Sunway, Petaling Jaya

Hye guys.

I am Mansoor from Pakistan. I have got a Phd scholarship in sunway university malaysia, the scholarship amount is full tution fee waiver and RM 2000 a month.I am planing to come in january, I need to know whether its enough for a single person.

Can any one of you tell me regarding the accommodation as i will be requiring one, how much the accomodation cost for a single person and i need to know the off campus accomodation near to the university.

KIndly do guide me.

Hi 2,000 RM is very little - rooms as I understand it in a packed student condo/house will be 600 RM min (Sunway is very expensive) and to survive for food, transport, medical (do they include medical cover?) books etc will mean a very miserable existence unless you have savings to add to it. 10 years ago that was just possible (but rough living) now with all the inflation since then? I would say 3,000 RM is the min - if you have savings to add then ok. Or maybe tuition at uni? Otherwise you will be living on the breadline. But then you will at least study hard :)

BTW make sure the PhD is worth it. I have a staff member from Sunway College and she said herself "it's a local degree not worth much outside Malaysia" so before you start make sure it is recognised for the purpose you want it for. Otherwise all that sacrifice would be wasted.

Hey mate,

I found this in my "Malaysia Research" as I'm moving to KL in December :

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ci … rrency=MYR

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it may give you some guidelines.

Maybe some of the experiences people in here might add a sentence or two on how reliable this site is?