Considering moving to Nairobi

I am currently exploring an opportunity in Nairobi.  It would involve the relocation of my family for 3 - 4 years.  I have a wife and three young girls, ages 11, 4 and 2 months.

I currently live just outside of Toronto, Canada.

I am trying to get a view on life in Nairobi for my family and in particular safety concerns.

The Canadian Government has a travel advisory for Kenya advising of thefts, kidnappings, but its hard to get a true sense of daily life.

I am not sure how many Cdns or Americans live in Nairobi, but am particularly interested in communicating with expats there that have children. 

I have never been to Africa before and obviously would go on a exploratory trip prior to making final decision.  Any comments, thoughts etc would be useful.

Welcome on Expat.com STM,

being in touch with other Canadians in Kenya could help?

All the best,

Julien

Nairobi is a cosmopolitan town, there is a lot of Americans and many many expatriates.

It's true that Nairobi has a very bad reputation and often dubbed Nairobbery;  nonetheless, it's like any capital city, there are places you don't go and places you can walk freely.  I can say Nairobi is a safe if you stick to basic safety rules.

Kidnapping ? Indeed, kidnappings occur and it is new... There has been few cases, make sure you kids don't walk alone in the street, especially after 5pm.

2 months kid ??  You will presumably have to vaccinate your kids again common disease here.  Please read this - https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18402

Past topics that may interest you.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19965https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9463

Feel free to post again here if you need more information.  No PM please.

Cheers

TheBigBoss

Welcome to Nairobi STM
I live with my family including an infant and a 2 and half year old.
You will find plenty of good playschools as well as schools here. Most schools have kids of different races and nationalities and that's what makes it so interesting here. If you need any specific info, do post and I will try and help as much as I can.

Dear Friend,

I am a father of 2 handsome boys and I know the care and the stress that both partners go through during this period.

If you are considering moving to Kenya with your dear wife, I would strongly suggest the Yellow Fever Vaccine. Moreover entry into Kenya would not be allowed unless you have been Vaccinated.

But request you to kindly re-check this information with the Kenyan Embassy, they just might have special considerations depending on the reason for the visit.

Moreover if I were you, I would not take the risk of travelling without Yellow Fever vaccine.

Thank you and hope my input helped.

God Bless and all the best with the baby ....

I lived in Nakuru, Kenya for three years until August 2009.  I am very familiar with Nairobi and if you have specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.  There are many Americans and Canadians in Nairobi.  Generally, as with almost any third world country, you will be a natural target because of your skin color (presuming you are white).  We did not have any really bad experiences in Kenya but you always have to be on your guard.  The highways are dangerous and the criminals are always looking for opportunities to rob and/or carjack.  There's a good chance you'll never encounter violence if you are smart and hire good people to protect your property.  That being said, Kenya is a wonderous place filled with beautiful people.  Nairobi is quite a bit more expensive than Nakuru and I have a feeling you'll be shocked at the costs to rent a good house there (coming from Canada).  It's a great place and becomming more cosmopolitan every day.  You should definitely make a trip with your wife to check things out.  I'd be happy to answer any more questions you have.

Denny.