Driving in Jeddah

Hi All,

I'm currently based in Abu Dhabi (UAE). However, I'll be taking up a new post in Jeddah, c. December 2012. I already have a car here in the UAE, bought from new in 2011.

I've decided to take my car with me to Jeddah. Kindly advise (with links if possible!) on the following:

- Do they drive on the right hand side (with steering wheel on the left hand side) in Saudi?

- How difficult is it for me to bring (drive) my car from the UAE to Saudi?

- I already possess both UAE and EU driving licences, would I need a Saudi one?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Hi melt,

welcome to the Jeddah forum! :)

I have created a new thread as from your post on the Jeddah forum for better visibility.

You may also have a look at other threads on the Cars and transportation Jeddah forum.

Thank you,
Christine

1. Yes KSA drive on RHS with steering wheel on LHS of car.
2. You could do it I'm sure but it is a long way - it is around a 10-12 hr drive at least from Riyadh to Jeddah, with (I understand - haven't done it personally) nowhere to stay along the way - plus what ever it would take to get from ADH to Riyadh (no info on that sorry). Might be better to consider shipping car here.
3. You will need a Saudi licence if you want to have the car registered here as you can't register a vehicle without a licence. It will really be a formality to get the licence given the ones you already have - the matter of less than an hour.

Well come to Jeddah. Hope you will find Jeddah good for living and doing business. All facilities in Jeddah are up to the level of some other international cities. To be specific on answering your queries:

Do they drive on the right hand side (with steering wheel on the left hand side) in Saudi?

[b]KSA is one of the left hand driving country and it becomes too difficult to drive right hand side cars in Jeddah.

- How difficult is it for me to bring (drive) my car from the UAE to Saudi?

As to my view if your car is right hand side drive it will be too difficult to use it here. I advise you better think of buying a new one.

- I already possess both UAE and EU driving licenses, would I need a Saudi one?

The traffic office will request you to have driving license of KSA and if you are perfect they will immediately issue the license after the first day of your application.

Hope the above information will give you some clue about life in Jeddah. Let's keep in touch

Jemal