Police report from The Turkish Cypriot

I was not sure whether to start a new thread or add to this.Maybe an admin could tell me.

Anyway here it goes.

We are an unmarried couple born in England,U.K with U.K. passports but have lived in North Cyprus for 3 years this month.North Cyprus is governed by Turkish Cypriots. South Cyprus is run by GREEK CYPRIOTS.
I understand that part of the residency process you have to have a police report from where you have lived for the last 5 years.

Well we could get a police report , I think from the UK, AND probably get a police report from The Turkish Cypriot police here  BUT there is no Uruguayan Embassy in North Cyprus. There is one in South Cyprus BUT THERE IS NO WAY ON EARTH THAT A GREEK EMBASSY WILL RECOGNISE A TURKISH POLICE REPORT.

So what do we do?

I think u should just get them British report, and dont even mention Cyprus, if they as say it is impossible and ask them to obtain it themselves over the embassy!

P.S. I lived in USA for a year and i did not have to bring anything from there so u should not have any problem!

vanja46fan wrote:

P.S. I lived in USA for a year and i did not have to bring anything from there so u should not have any problem!

Yes but the problem will be for us that by the time we get things off the ground here it will be 4 years or there abouts and , don`t the rules state that it has to be a police report from where you lived for the last 5 years?

Hi LooseBoots,

A new thread has been created as from your post on the Uruguay forum.

you may start a new topic on the Cyprus forum as well.

All the best,
Christine

i am not sure about the 5 year rule, but if in the end u have to bring a police report from Cyprus the process is more or less like this....
u get the report from the police and make it legal in that country, which in my case meant that in Bosnia, where i am from, i had to get appostile stamp. I dont know if Cyprus enter among the countries that have that stamp, if it does then u take that document, as i did, to Argentina, since unfortunately Uruguay doesn`t enter among  the countries that deal with that stamp, and make it legal in Argentina, then u take it in Uruguayan consulate in Argentina  and make it legal for Uruguay and then u can start all the process in Uruguay that goes from there.
all this is a little complicated and it took me some time to do it but it can be done, all u need is to find people that know how to deal with ur case and they will point u to where u need to go...
maybe the best start is to go to nearest Uruguayan embassy and ask them to tell u what is the easiest way, u can save a lot of time, money and mental health!!!
Good luck!

Uruguay recently moved to the apostille system so you no longer need documents legalized by the Uruguayan consulates. Your report needs to be apostilled by the country that gave you the report.

Uruguay now seems to want a report from every country you have lived in for more than three months.  I am having to get one from England even though I have not lived there since 1974 and from the country I was born in even though I left as a child.

If you have a different name from when you lived there ie a married name, make sure your police report is in the name you had at the time or it will be rejected.  Police reports are only good for six months so if your appointment with immigration is more than six months away, you will probably need another one!

janway wrote:

Uruguay recently moved to the apostille system so you no longer need documents legalized by the Uruguayan consulates. Your report needs to be apostilled by the country that gave you the report.

Uruguay now seems to want a report from every country you have lived in for more than three months.  I am having to get one from England even though I have not lived there since 1974 and from the country I was born in even though I left as a child.

If you have a different name from when you lived there ie a married name, make sure your police report is in the name you had at the time or it will be rejected.  Police reports are only good for six months so if your appointment with immigration is more than six months away, you will probably need another one!

But is it not just for the last 5 years????

No, we were in about two weeks ago and were told it is now everywhere you have lived since the age of 18 years, hence they want one from me for a country I lived in last in 1974.

When we applied last year, i was told they would not need it if it was more than five years ago but that is no longer the case it seems.

OK . Thank you for the info.

janway wrote:

No, we were in about two weeks ago and were told it is now everywhere you have lived since the age of 18 years, hence they want one from me for a country I lived in last in 1974.

When we applied last year, i was told they would not need it if it was more than five years ago but that is no longer the case it seems.

My better half , in her research, has found out that we could stay for 3 months at a time on a tourist visa , then leave for a weekend, then come back.For example to Buenos Aires.

If we decided after a time to do residency do you know if an Interpol report would do because although the U.K. part would be possible would would still have the problem of the Turkish Cypriot report being apostilled.

I can only give you my experiences which are limited but  I think that is only for US citizens.  I am sure my lawyer would have suggested it for me if it was available for other countries.

I also believe you can renew your visa in Uruguay once before having to leave so you would be able to stay 6 months at a time. A lot of people do this permanently rather than do the residency thing.  One drawback is then you cannot import your possessions in a container duty free.

OK Thank you. Your advice is very much appreciated.:)