AIR CHAOS IN BRAZIL

Well folks Christmas, New Year's and Carnaval will soon be upon us once again and for most of you that means another painful experience involving the 'caos aéreo' that happens here in Brazil during every holiday. Don't expect that anything has changed or that it will. The airline companies simply do not have fleets sufficient for their numerous routes, the government agencies that regulate airlines, airports, flying, etc., are too numerous and incompetent. Brazil has never heard the old saying "Too many cooks spoil the broth" so in the end create several agencies that only wind up stepping on the toes of other agencies doing the same thing.

As if all that isn't enough to keep planes on the ground or make them disappear then we have the airline employees themselves. It seems they always find the days leading up to Christmas and New Years most convenient to go on strike or stage a slowdown. I doubt that this year is going to be any different. This has gone on for all of my nearly 11 years here. It never gets any better.

They should let the bus companies run aviation and the airlines. They are always ON TIME, they do not suffer cancellations and they don't overbook seats. They also know how to maintain an adeqiate fleet for their needs all while keeping fares low. I always travel by bus, I love it. I would recommend that if you plan to travel during the holidays, if possible allow some extra time so you can travel by bus. It's way cheaper, much more reliable and if you can get a night departure then you can even sleep during the trip so you won't notice the fact that it takes longer.

Oh yes, and one thing that I almost forgot. At the bus depot when it all hits the fan and things go wrong; the employees don't all disappear faster than Harry Houdini so unlike at the airports passengers don't have to stage a mass demonstration in order to just to get information about what's going on. At the bus depot information is always available and freely given to anyone who asks.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Check the date of the orignal post above..... OCTOBER. Can I call 'em or can I call 'em?

I hate to say "I told ya so." But, I told ya so! This same old same old happens here every year due to the outright incompetence of the very agencies that are supposed to be looking out for us all. Thanks ANAC, thanks GOL for screwing up the holidays for a whole bunch of people who deserve a whole lot better! This is what happens when Mr. Scrooge gets married to Ms. Grinch..... the travelling public gets scroo-ged as usual. Guess we just gotta grinch and bear it, eh?

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/Grinch.jpg[/img]

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team