Coming with a 2-years old to Rabat for a month?

Dear all,

my wife has to do a longer Arabic course in Rabat in January and February, and I am considering going there with her and taking with me our little son (whose second birthday is today :-) for two weeks or even more. The other option is to stay in Cracow, Poland, where we live and where he attends a nice kindergarden, and just wait for a month or so for the mummy to come back. It would probably be easier to make this a week or two of waiting instead of more than a month; second, since I am a historian of the Middle East, Morocco is very interesting for me, though I would have to spend all days with our son, my wife attending the course and preapring for it from the early morning till the evening.

I would like to ask you for advice whether the idea of coming to Rabat with our son is sensible. I would imagine our stay would consist of going to the beach (in January?), wandering around the old town, finding some playgrounds/parks/cafes and places where he could meet other children. I also wouldn't mind doing some more serious sightseeing with him, by a rented car or by train. Mostly alone, without Ania, coming back home in the evening.

I am writing this post because we're in seroius doubts. We've been together to Istanbul in May for a month and it was certainly a bad idea. We lived in a rented flat inside the huge "old town" area (in Cihangir), where there was very little green spaces, playgrounds in bad conditions and really nothing to do with a small child who needs somewhere to spend its energy and to have fun. This wouldn't be so diffucult, thoguh, if it were not so immensely crowded and noisy, which made even the available small city beaches or tiny parks less enjoyable for Ignacy. He simply felt insecure and distressed all the time. I wouldn't fancy experiencing something like this once again.

Sorry it's a long e-mail - all advice would be very appreciated!!!

Best regards from Poland,
Adam

i kochame cie poland :)

Hello Adam.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

I don't think there is a problem with a crowded feel at most times, so that shouldn't be your biggest concern.

As far as parks etc. I'm not sure if I'd say there is a lot of green space.  There is the andalusian gardens in the medina, which is usually not too crowded and quite pretty, but not open and grassy. But, there are open beaches that you can walk along and lots of places to explore, I personally love walking along the beaches in Rabat and Sale.  (Although it is getting colder now, you'd want to wear warm clothes!!) Also, if you went to the roman ruins right in Rabat called the Chellah, it's basically like a huge park and garden you can walk around and walk right through all of the ruins, a kid would definitely be free to roam there (in which case don't get a guide, they ask you a lot at the door but just say no). 

I am going to go to the Rabat zoo today for the first time, I'll let you know how that is, but from reviews I've read apparently it has wide paths so it is stroller friendly and a great place for kids and families.

So there are some options for sure, I think it depends how comfortable you are getting around.  Do you speak any french or arabic?  If you want to take taxis just basics (right, left, straight) would be good to have.  In general I don't meet a lot of people who speak English.

Best of luck with your decision!  Let me know if you have other questions!

Adam, 2 weeks shouldnt be a big problem for you if your here to explore while waiting for your wife. depending on where you will stay, there's a big park here right beside the Sofitel and it has 2 playgrounds. i think January would be too cold to swim in.. but as mantioned above; there's a zoo you can visit. ive seen it and its spacious enough and it just opened so its all nice and dandy. hope it goes well for you!

Absolutely if you Search in Google and facebook You will find alot places and Beautiful....

Rabat/ Sale/ Kentira/ Temara are close cities to each Other.
if U Got a car and U Managed to find a Local friend, it would be alot better to spend Good time altogether.

However the weather might not be Good.

Anyway First of All, You Must search for a flat and get a car and rest will come up once U HERE....

Hit me Up and i will send U List of Beatiful places in town
Cheers

Dear Theresa, Lorelee and Elliso,
many, many thanks for your advice (and sorry I did not answer immeidately). I must say that having read your posts we have almost decided to come; we are now starting to sort out various accommodation options etc.
I do speak French (but no Arabic), so I am not afraid of getting around on my own with Ignacy, I already have some experience from the Middle East and Caucasus. My only concern right now is the weather - but it turned out that we would rather come for the first two weeks of February rather than the last two weeks of January, so the risk of having continous rain for an entire week should be really small. I mean - Ignacy has nothing against walking and playing in the rain, if it is not too cold, so some rain is not a problem at all. And we were not thinking of swimming anyway :-) Playing in a huge sandpit would be a lot of fun for Ignacy without even entering into the water :-)
Once again many, many thanks - and perhaps just two more questions:
- would you be really afraid of having continous rain for a few days in late January/early February? Or I shouldn't really worry so much about the weather?
- are there any neighbourhoods you would certainly recommend as regards looking for a flat (or you would not recommend at all)?
With all best wishes from chilly Poland,
Adam

Dear Adam, rain isnt a big problem here even if it rains for consecutive days. In fact, there was hardly any rain last year. from someone who lived in Holland for 3 years, rabat weather is great!
most of the decent apartments can be found in Hay Ryad or Agdal area. Rabat in itself is a small town so any place is pretty much 20 minutes drive or less.

Dear Lorelee,
thanks a lot for this info. We have no doubts we should come with my wife, therefore :-)
All best,
Adam