Hello Expats - I'm trying to find a new job.

Hello, my name is James and I need your help.

I've been living in Niteroi for the last 3 1/2 years with my Brazilian wife, working for an local Oil & Gas services company in a commercial role. I have a permanent visa and want to remain in Brazil but I am looking for a new work direction and a fresh start.

I have some basic Portuguese and am learning more all the time. I get by day to day and can follow most stuff on the TV, but I still find it difficult to speak with confidence.

My background is in Electronic Media (Web, Digital image manipulation, digital audio & video, interactivity)& Acoustic Engineering but I have been out of the loop for some time. I would love to get back into this area and able to pick up new skills and programs with ease.

I am looking for some pointers of where to start looking for work, preferably in a multinational. I know a lot of the Oil & Gas companies in Macae and would love to live in Rio das Ostras, but the role I see advertised are for Offshore or Engineering roles.

Any advice?

Hi James,

Welcome to Expat-blog. Hope that your experience here will be both enjoyable and informative and that it will also help you in your career goals.

I live in Macaé so if there's anything I can do to help you send me a PM. Good choice, Rio dos Ostras is a really nice place.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Hello, James.

I suggest you go to UFRJ, UERJ and/or some other universities WEBSITES that have engineering, advertising and/or music in their prospects.

When you find that, go to the place, hang around for a while and try to talk to some people, specially teachers.

Another way to accomplish that may be the advertising companies and specialized discussion groups in Yahoo or Google.

In resume, networking is one of the main things you will have to do.

All the best!
Pedro.

Hi Alexandre, could you please post in English in this Anglophone forum?

Thanks,
Harmonie.

Hey, James.

Here is some online help to get you speaking some Portuguese:

bbc.co.uk/languages/portuguese/
easyportuguese.com/
learningportuguese.co.uk/home-page/free-online-portuguese-courses.html
frenchspanishonline.com/beginnersportuguese/freeportuguese.html
livemocha.com/

Paz,
Pedro.