How's the internet service in PP?

I'm evaluating Cambodia and one thing for sure I'll need is dependable internet service because I work mostly online. 
1.How's the connection speeds in PP (and other areas incountry)
2.Is it pretty easy to sign up for?
3.Is it wireless or hardwired or what?

Also, does PP have a problem with the electricity going out?  I read something about it somewhere on this blog.

Regards,
Art

heya ..
yes there are problems with electricity
u can get all types of internet at different speeds and different costs .
on pendrive modem, router , cable , whatever , try Digi, i'm using it though my needs are not that demanding so i'm pretty ok with anything , Metfone internet is also ok

Oh...thanks.

Tell me please...how often does the power go out?  And how long does it usually stay off? 

Is it city-wide or more of a local thing?

Regards,
Art

It's mostly restricted to areas, not the entirely city. I heard it can last for really long, though in my time here for over 2 months I've only experienced it once, which probably lasted for no more than half a way. Anyway, I just packed my laptop, went to a nearby cafe and continue using the Internet with free wifi provided.

So no worries, it's not a big deal. :)

Ahh...thanks.

art

there are some energy savers at the pc shops  , cost 30$ N give u abt half of hour of electricity for ur pc

I use a Metfone dongle for my laptop, it cost $30 and I pay $20 per month for unimited internet, the speed I am unsure of, but there are other price plans.

The Internet is quite advanced here in Cambodia, with more than 10 service providers to choose from.

As for the electricity, yes it may go off for a short while, I find it happens more in Siem Reap and Sihanoukville than PP. Also the water may go off just as you need the shower, and stay off for an hour maybe, but not too often.

Well thanks.  That doesn't sound too bad. 

Tell me...do you know of any Salsa dancing clubs in PP?

I had been impressed with the pictures I saw of Sihanoukville. How does one make the trip from PP to there?

Regards,
Art

From PP to Sihanoukville takes 4-5 hours, one can take a taxi, minibus or bus.

I have not come across any salsa clubs here, but there are salsa nights in a couple of places and salsa classes here as well.

Ahhh...thanks.  By chance to you know the names of those places?

Regards,
Art

Salsa classes: http://www.salsa-phnompenh.com/

Salsa nights, you can try FCC, Equinox and Pacharan, I could be way out of date on these venues though.

Thanks to every who replied.  I haven't been back here in a while.  Actually I left Manila last January because I had a job offer, as a writer, here in Ras al Khaimah, UAE.  It's extremely sterile and boring here and I'm thinking where I might go in January 2015 when my apt lease is up. 

Since Thailand has ruined the visa situation for foreigners and since I've had enough of the Philippines, I'm wondering where I might go is Asia.  In SE Asia it's obviously either Cambodia, Vietnam or perhaps Penang or elsewhere in Malaysia (visa restrictions for an American notwithstanding).

Based on the advice I've gotten so far I gather that internet speed and prices are at least acceptable in Sihanoukville and PP.  Is that still true?  I'll still be making a living online as a writer plus I'll need Skype.  Does Cambodia allow Skype?

Regards,
Art

yes, I've used skype in PP before.. cheers

Hi,

I live in RAK too, you are right the place is super boring. You will love PP more friendly people and fun things to do

Hello.
Can we make a list of Internet service providers in Cambodia and the estimated price for a decent package to have basic Internet at home?

I can see:
Metfone ADSL ranging from 10$ to 20$

I'm also looking for a reliable wireless internet provider with good coverage around the PP area. Any recommendations?

I get the impression for the various things I've read that there are several
providers and that it's adequate..i.e. probably better than the Philippines, which
is barely adequate.

art