Moving to Ecuador

I'm applying for my 6month visa in the New Year and although I have a friend who will assist me in getting living quarters, I would like to know what else is there I should know before making the move.
I've been to Ecuador 7 times in the last 3 years so I'm fairly familiar with the country, at least as much as one can know in that period of time.
Oh I do speak Spanish.

All responses greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Cuidarte

Hi Cuidarte & welcome to Expat.com!

Your thread has been moved to Ecuador forum for better visibility.;)

Hope that other members will soon shed a light on you.

All the best,
Harmonie.

Saw your post on Ecuador.  Why don't you start by giving a sense of where you are relocating to within Ecuador.  Ecuador may seem like a small country, from the standpoint of geographic size and population, but it is very diverse when it comes to culture, climate, cuisine and just about everything else.  Getting a sense of your destination might help engender a more accurate response.

Hector G: Quintana
[email protected]

Hello everyone!

We are from the north Houston area, and are looking at possibly getting a home or condo in Ecuador.

We have heard that Cuenca and Salinas areas are nice.  We are looking for the following:
Safety
Other Americans, Canadians or English Speakers in our community (we do speak some Spanish)
A Condo or home of at least 2-3 bedrooms with 2 baths
A nice property in a well kept area
Good dining and some shopping and entertainment
Possibly a housekeeper, caretaker since this will be a second home initially
Ocean and mountain access
Close to an airport (international preferably)
Tennis, golf? and activities like hiking
cost isn't our biggest issue, but we love warm weather and ocean activities.  I"m also a singer/songwriter so music and cultural activities and places to perform are a must.

We want to come for a visit first before we make any decisions, so any recommendations from Houston would be great as far as where to fly and where to stay, etc.

Looking forward to hearing from some of you!  Thanks!
Deborah & Larry

Deborah & Larry,

Well, try flying into Guayaquil Airport (GYE).  From there, you are a 90 minute ride to Salinas, down a perfectly maintained 4-lane highway, or a short flight to Cuenca.  Pick one or the other, first, and then leave remove to explore the alternative.  In most respects, the cities are polar opposites.  Salinas is coastal, Cuenca is sierra.  Salinas is the central resort community, Cuenca is year-round residence locale.  Salinas is warm, dry and sunny, Cuenca gets plenty of rain, clouds and, despite the talk about "eternal Spring", some down right cold weather.  Their one commonality is a large Expat community, with the various assorted "social clicks" that Expat living seems to always engender.  A condo or home as you describe will be easy to find. It is all about the details and desired price range. We have many to offer in Salinas and some in Cuenca.  Dining, shopping and entertainment are available at both venues. Neither can be defined as a mecca for any of the preceding.  This is one of the misperceptions about Ecuador.  Outside of Guayaquil and Quito, there is no great culinary or entertainment diversity anywhere.  Neither has a true international airport.  To fly into Ecuador from abroad is to fly into either Quito or Guayaquil. However, Cuenca has the busier airport.  Tennis can be found in both. Salinas offers no true golf facility, unless you enjoy playing a 9-hole sand trap.  Cuenca's golf course is in better shape, although by no means impressive.  Try both...pick your favorite.  The only catch I see is that whole "...we love warm weather and ocean activities...", which does not exactly define a Cuenca lifestyle.

Thank you so much Hector, it sounds like the Salinas area would be more suitable to us, although as you say, both areas really sound wonderful!  We will do as you recommend, and try to see both as soon as possible.

Will keep in touch, your answer was very clear and we appreciate the information so much, it sounds like Salinas is also closer to the main international Equador airports.
Are there any other main areas of the country you would recommend? 
:)
Take care,
Deborah

Deborah & Larry,

Probably have to recommend Manta, as well.  It offers a bit of a compromise on both Salinas and Cuenca.  Which is to say that it offers, in some ways, a better balance, but without some of the clear advantages of either.  Keep me posted, if I can help.