Getting italian passport

Hello to all,

I have some doubts and I hope you can help me out with this.

My husband has an italian passport, and Im planning to move to the EU. I know I will have to live there for about 1 year until I have a passport for my own.

Questions are, once Im in italy,
do I have to go to a office somewhere to let them know Im there?

can I go alone to this office or do I have to go with husband? perhaps I can take a bunch of papers with me probing that im married with an italian (also have a daughter with an italian passport)
husband work is in uruguay, so I guess he will have to come and go to make this thing of the paper work?

I also read that I will need to provide an address, is this correct?

how many times and for how long periods of time I will have to go to that "office" to let them know im still there wanting the papers?
again, will I be able to go alone there of husband will have to come with me?

do I actually have to reside in italy? or can i have the address there and go there when my presence is requested?

I will appreciate your answers, sorry for the confusion, I have so many questions.

Thanks!

Hello Urbban,

You speak italian? your mariage has been enregistrated in the commune where live your husband in italy?
You can e mail me, i will answer your questions i think

Have a nice evening

Hi Urban,

If you are married to an Italian citizen, then you have the right to gain legal residence in Italy which will give you most of the rights that citizens have--including the right to work and access to the state healthcare system.

You can accomplish the bureaucratic steps at the Italian consulate in your country, which would probably be easier and more convenient for you, especially if you don't speak Italian.  The "office" that you were referring to in your post is called the "questura."  And yes, once in Italy you should present yourself to the local questura within 8 days.  And yes, they'll ask you for your address in Italy.

As far as gaining a passport, you would have to become an Italian citizen first.  But that takes longer than a year, I'm afraid.  In any case, you wouldn't really need the passport to utilize the public services.  You'd only need a residency card, a codice fiscale, and possibly another document from ASL, the national healthcare agency.

The system is Italy is notoriously slow, but just follow the steps and it will work out in the end.  In the meantime, I've found that the Italian authorities are very tolerant, as they understand all too well how slow and convoluted their bureaucracy is.  Good luck!

Rick