Relocating London to Singapore

Hello Everyone,
My Wife and I, both 32 years old,  will be relocating to Singapore from London at the end of November 2012.
My job will allow me to work from home for the majority of the week but I will also be doing international travel once a week (away for a few days).
My wife is an early years teacher, who doesn't necessarily need to work , but does hope to find a teaching job.
We both love being in amongst the buzz of a city but also enjoy our down time where we can enjoy a little more of the outdoors lifestyle. ( We recently moved from Hampstead to the Surrey Hills). My research makes me think that district 9/10 or 15/16 might respectively work well for us. Although if I am honest I think we would like to try living in the centre at least for our first year in Singapore.
We stayed in Singapore for a couple of months 10 years ago at the Lotus Joo Chiat apartments and really liked the low rise style. We're not a fan of high rise. My recent research has shown up the Duchess Crest condos which seem to replicate that style which we really like.
Our take home salary will be net SGD10,500 cpm. I am budgeting to spend 5,500 cpm on rental of accommodation. This is far more of a %age of my income than I would normally spend but I appreciate that Singapore is even more expensive  than London in this respect. Maybe I am over estimating the cost. It is a big move and I want to ensure that my wife and I are as comfortable as can be in our new home.
So my questions are:
Is my thought process correct? i.e. budget and location.
Can anybody suggest the best condos for us to be looking at?
What should we or can we do to get ourselves up and running asap. We have 6 weeks until we arrive and obviously it would be nice to have somewhere my wife can call " home" in time for Christmas.
I really appreciate your help and thoughts.
Thank you!

Hello Moleo.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

So as to make it more visible, your post has been moved to the Singapore forum.

Concerning the condos, I invite you to read this article on Accommodation in Singapore.

You can post an advert in the Housing in Singapore section. It could help.

Do not hesitate to browse the other threads on the Singapore forum as well.

Thank you,
Aurélie