Insight into Vancouver, BC. What is it like to live there.

Hi we are planning to immigrate to British Columbia, Canada. I'm Indian and I have lived in England for 12 years. We visited BC few years ago and totally fell in love with the place for the scenery and beautiful mountains, we throughly enjoyed our canadian road trip. After all these years in the UK, we are seriously thinking to immigrate to Canada. We have a pretty good lifestyle here, my husband is a Family practitioner (GP), decent wages, a nice house and two young kids. But the quality of life in UK is slipping.  We like to spend more time with the kids, outdoors, skiing, nature trails etc. There are plenty of opportunities for my husband in Canada, we have checked health match BC and Canada immigration and they are desperate for UK trained family physicians and the pay is decent too.

We loved Vancouver and how multicultural it is, but after doing lots of research the 'Multicultural' aspect seems to be a bit overwhelming, I have read lots on the internet about how Canadians are not very welcoming to Asians etc...We never felt any racism when we visited and we always commented how nice and friendly the Canadians were. This was in 2007, has something changed since then? Or was I just a tourist and these things didn't affect me? I totally despise living in ghettos and love to integrate with the community. Working and living in UK we have been able to do that to a great extent and have numerous friends from all backgrounds. What quality of life can I expect in Vancouver? I'm also worried about the gang related crimes, would it be safe for my children? Should we just cross Vancouver off the list and look somewhere like Victoria or even Calgary, Alberta? Any advise would be great.

Hello lancastrian.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll get some feedbacks from other members.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thanks Aurelie! We visited Mauritius in May and have to comment, what a beautiful Country you have. Loved the food, sea and culture :)

Hello, I am from Canada (although currently living in France) and I spent 5 years in BC. I did not live in Vancouver, however I spent 5 months living there temporarily for work and visited 10-20 times over the 5 years I lived in the Kootenays (an area east of BC, 500 km's east along the US border). I believe Vancouver is very multicultural and is very open to different cultures. I think Canada is generally very open to other cultures, and in fact we have to be because the number of immigrants living in Canada is quite large. I wouldn't be concerned about not being treated properly in Vancouver, I would be very surprised if that occurred. Vancouverites have grown accustom to the rising asian population. It's a way of life there in Vancouver and if anyone doesn't like it, they realize quickly that there is nothing to be done about it because that's just the reality. Vancouver (as you know) is a gorgeous city and if there is any animosity, it is mostly due to the rising prices of housing and cost of living, which is driven up by immigrants who can afford to pay more than some Canadians thus pushing Canadians outside the city limits. I think that is source of any negative thoughts towards immigrants, but I do not believe that it is dominant in any way, and there are always unhappy people wherever you go! Canadians are pretty polite and welcoming people, and I am sure you will be very well received there.
Now you are also asking about gang related issues, I think that you should choose your neighborhood accordingly and you shouldn't have to worry at all about your kids. Vancouver is safe. There are problems in every city which appear to be more dangerous than reality thanks to the media.
Good luck with your immigration!

i've lived in vancouver and think you should try it. it is expensive however provides greater quality of life in terms of recreational activities. the physical surroundings are majestic and personally i enjoyed the multicultural element. i would investigate what areas your husband may wish to set up practice; then consider living within walking distance. the main artery getting in and out of the mainland (downtown) is the lion's gate bridge and the sea bus. can be restrictive. otherwise, i think vancouver offers quite a lot. (and i found the locals to be very friendly as most people are transplanted; very few born and raised vancouverites)

mtlgal6 wrote:

Hello, I am from Canada (although currently living in France) and I spent 5 years in BC. I did not live in Vancouver, however I spent 5 months living there temporarily for work and visited 10-20 times over the 5 years I lived in the Kootenays (an area east of BC, 500 km's east along the US border). I believe Vancouver is very multicultural and is very open to different cultures. I think Canada is generally very open to other cultures, and in fact we have to be because the number of immigrants living in Canada is quite large. I wouldn't be concerned about not being treated properly in Vancouver, I would be very surprised if that occurred. Vancouverites have grown accustom to the rising asian population. It's a way of life there in Vancouver and if anyone doesn't like it, they realize quickly that there is nothing to be done about it because that's just the reality. Vancouver (as you know) is a gorgeous city and if there is any animosity, it is mostly due to the rising prices of housing and cost of living, which is driven up by immigrants who can afford to pay more than some Canadians thus pushing Canadians outside the city limits. I think that is source of any negative thoughts towards immigrants, but I do not believe that it is dominant in any way, and there are always unhappy people wherever you go! Canadians are pretty polite and welcoming people, and I am sure you will be very well received there.
Now you are also asking about gang related issues, I think that you should choose your neighborhood accordingly and you shouldn't have to worry at all about your kids. Vancouver is safe. There are problems in every city which appear to be more dangerous than reality thanks to the media.
Good luck with your immigration!

Thanks mtlgal6! Your post is very reassuring.

Suzie Que wrote:

i've lived in vancouver and think you should try it. it is expensive however provides greater quality of life in terms of recreational activities. the physical surroundings are majestic and personally i enjoyed the multicultural element. i would investigate what areas your husband may wish to set up practice; then consider living within walking distance. the main artery getting in and out of the mainland (downtown) is the lion's gate bridge and the sea bus. can be restrictive. otherwise, i think vancouver offers quite a lot. (and i found the locals to be very friendly as most people are transplanted; very few born and raised vancouverites)

Thanks Suzie Que, there are lots to think about before making the huge leap across the pond. Schools & housing are my main concerns. Will have to wait and see where dh can apply, it's more likely to be somewhere rural as the doctor shortages would be high. I'm thinking West Vancouver and my dh says dream on ;) I'll be chuffed if he gets to work West or Norrh :)

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRR4sni_AgxRLmnGQaLAwrRztuYmDK7x8-1h6Wi-uC0cX9T0siHi Lancastrian,

As someone who resided in Vancouver for twenty-eight years before I came to Brazil I can tell you without any reservations that it is paradise on earth. I'm not alone in my feelings for the city... it has been voted the Best City in the World to Live In several years running.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hey, I think you'd really love Vancouver. It's a fairly safe, prosperous city with a huge Indian and South Asian community. The south slope of Vancouver proper has a large Indian community, as does nearby Surrey and North Delta, although there are no places in the Vancouver area that are mono-cultural or mono-ethnic in any way... There's lots of blending, don't worry!

There are a few neighbourhoods that are a bit seedy (Downtown Eastside, Whalley, etc.) but all-in-all it's a nice, safe city.

With a GP in your family you should be able to afford to live in a nice part of town, although bear in mind that real estate costs in Vancouver are extremely high. Prices have been softening over the past 6 months though, and are widely expected to decline further over the next 1-2 years, so this may actually be a wise time to buy in.

Hope I could help!

Victoria is amazing, i've fallen in love with her.

Hello there, I am originally from Yorkshire and have emigrated to Canada. I live about a 40 minute drive just outside of Vancouver. I love Vancouver. It is safe and you will make friends. The gang related crimes are internal fighting, not aimed at the generally population and I walk freely in Vancouver and never think about it. The kids will not suffer from racism or isolation, at all. We have strict equality policies like in the UK about those matters and racial bullying is not tolerated. I am not Indian. I am Caucasian and understand we may have some different experiences, but I would not think so and certainly not in a professional environment. I find Canadians to be non controversial, and they tend to be aloof and  sometimes not easy to make friends with, but it is not about  racism, its more to do with them being reserved until you know people. Besides, most Canadians in Vancouver are from somewhere else, anyway. Being a Cdn these days is about having another heritage.

I have been to Calgary. There is less diversity there and you will be too cold in the winters. Victoria is very nice and warmer than the rest of Canada, but it is on the island. I am not sure how you like that. The island is very large, though, and lots to do: kayaking, hiking, sailing and visiting the Gulf Islands. The ferry across to Vancouver from Vancouver Island is $140 return with two passengers. You could live in Victoria and come over here a few times a year? I have a daughter that goes to the University in Victoria and loves it there. I really would ideally prefer to live in Vancouver, myself, than other parts of Canada. It is close to Whistler, has lots to do there, is very environment conscious, and attracts critical thinkers and people with a world view.

If you do decide to come, I would be happy to be a contact for you here near Vancouver if there is anything logistically that you need me to help you with. I'm not sure if there is a way to private message on here?

Best Wishes.

lancastrian wrote:

Hi we are planning to immigrate to British Columbia, Canada. I'm Indian and I have lived in England for 12 years. We visited BC few years ago and totally fell in love with the place for the scenery and beautiful mountains, we throughly enjoyed our canadian road trip. After all these years in the UK, we are seriously thinking to immigrate to Canada. We have a pretty good lifestyle here, my husband is a Family practitioner (GP), decent wages, a nice house and two young kids. But the quality of life in UK is slipping.  We like to spend more time with the kids, outdoors, skiing, nature trails etc. There are plenty of opportunities for my husband in Canada, we have checked health match BC and Canada immigration and they are desperate for UK trained family physicians and the pay is decent too.

We loved Vancouver and how multicultural it is, but after doing lots of research the 'Multicultural' aspect seems to be a bit overwhelming, I have read lots on the internet about how Canadians are not very welcoming to Asians etc...We never felt any racism when we visited and we always commented how nice and friendly the Canadians were. This was in 2007, has something changed since then? Or was I just a tourist and these things didn't affect me? I totally despise living in ghettos and love to integrate with the community. Working and living in UK we have been able to do that to a great extent and have numerous friends from all backgrounds. What quality of life can I expect in Vancouver? I'm also worried about the gang related crimes, would it be safe for my children? Should we just cross Vancouver off the list and look somewhere like Victoria or even Calgary, Alberta? Any advise would be great.

I lived in Vancouver my whole life (37 years) until last week.  The wife and I moved to the Dominican Republic. 

I agree with William, it is a WONDERFUL City to live in!  It is so diverse and so much to do outside all year around. 
I don't know where you read that about Asians but that is so not true! 
It is very safe for a big city, you wouldn't have to worry about gangs at all unless hanging out in some rough areas in Surrey?!

It is expensive and it rains and is grey a lot.  The only reason we left was b/c of the rain and the high prices.  For what I sold my house for I can retire in the DR.  To get a decent house in a nice area you would be paying over a Million easy probably more like 1.5.
This would be the best city by far in Canada to move to and one of the best in the World to live in my opinion. 
If it wasn't for that darn rain...but that is what makes it so beautiful!
Traffic was just rated 2nd worst in North America behind L.A.  This kind of surprised me but if there is no long commute to work or schools your Family would be fine.

B.C. is a wonderful place to live.  I think you have to decide what you want of life.  You husbands profession will make him welcome
any place you pick. Vancouver as a major city has a lot more to offer than a smaller place like Quesnel.  Even though culturally there is more to offer in Vancouver you become a part of the community a lot quicker in the smaller towns and it is easier to make friends.  Once you get into the interior the weather is a lot
colder and gets warmer as you move south.  Draw up a list with the family of what they want out of life and it might help your decision.  You always have a few bad eggs where ever you go in this world, but in general I think you will enjoy most of those you get involved with.

did you finally taken the plunge? we are exaclty in same shoes, I would really appreciate to find out your final status.

Vancouver is very multicultural. And as for being not warming to Asians.... The population is made up of more than 50% East Indians, then Chinese and then vietnamese and the rest follows. The last time I have lived there. Canadians are actually the nicest people you will meet. Vancouver is my home away from home. You will love it. As you may know housing is quite expensive but we do have the best asian food around. Good luck in your ventures

Thanks all for fantastic input on Vancouver, now my foot is even more itchy! Sorry I didn't login the forum for a while, I'm overwhelmed by all the replies from Vancouver lovers. We still haven't taken the plunge, but think we will soon! For starters we have put our house on sale in the UK. Keeping my fingers crossed for it to sell. Hubby is in constant touch with healthmatchbc. We are planning to do another recreational trip in the summer 2013 to BC, hubby will be making a few appointments with health centres and visit them to have a chat/look around etc. Its exciting but its a long process! Ideally we should relocate by 2015 I guess :) Schools will be my major concern, but with help from expats like you guys its least of my worry at the minute :) Thanks again.

broadacre wrote:

did you finally taken the plunge? we are exaclty in same shoes, I would really appreciate to find out your final status.

broadacre Not yet! we are getting there slowly (snails pace) but we are emotionally ready! Whats your position? Are you moving to Vancouver too?

Piperpeter thank you so much! I will pm you nearer the time! Victoria is indeed a great place and we stayed in a small town called Tofino in Vancouver Island, it was amazing! what a cute little place! I'm getting more excited as I speak about it! Cant wait to take the kids there in the summer, they are going to love it!. I'm looking forward to our reccie trip.

piperpeter wrote:

Hello there, I am originally from Yorkshire and have emigrated to Canada. I live about a 40 minute drive just outside of Vancouver. I love Vancouver. It is safe and you will make friends. The gang related crimes are internal fighting, not aimed at the generally population and I walk freely in Vancouver and never think about it. The kids will not suffer from racism or isolation, at all. We have strict equality policies like in the UK about those matters and racial bullying is not tolerated. I am not Indian. I am Caucasian and understand we may have some different experiences, but I would not think so and certainly not in a professional environment. I find Canadians to be non controversial, and they tend to be aloof and  sometimes not easy to make friends with, but it is not about  racism, its more to do with them being reserved until you know people. Besides, most Canadians in Vancouver are from somewhere else, anyway. Being a Cdn these days is about having another heritage.

I have been to Calgary. There is less diversity there and you will be too cold in the winters. Victoria is very nice and warmer than the rest of Canada, but it is on the island. I am not sure how you like that. The island is very large, though, and lots to do: kayaking, hiking, sailing and visiting the Gulf Islands. The ferry across to Vancouver from Vancouver Island is $140 return with two passengers. You could live in Victoria and come over here a few times a year? I have a daughter that goes to the University in Victoria and loves it there. I really would ideally prefer to live in Vancouver, myself, than other parts of Canada. It is close to Whistler, has lots to do there, is very environment conscious, and attracts critical thinkers and people with a world view.

If you do decide to come, I would be happy to be a contact for you here near Vancouver if there is anything logistically that you need me to help you with. I'm not sure if there is a way to private message on here?

Best Wishes.

lancastrian wrote:

Love that picture of the clock in gastown! One of my favourite places in Van. Thanks :)

wjwoodward wrote:

[img align=l]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRR4sni_AgxRLmnGQaLAwrRztuYmDK7x8-1h6Wi-uC0cX9T0si[/url]Hi Lancastrian,

As someone who resided in Vancouver for twenty-eight years before I came to Brazil I can tell you without any reservations that it is paradise on earth. I'm not alone in my feelings for the city... it has been voted the Best City in the World to Live In several years running.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I lived in the UK for 8 years, and the last 3 years in Vancouver. Weather-wise it's the same as the UK so no great shock there. Cost of living in Vancouver I found to be slightly higher than Oxford (and most of the UK), but less than London. Some things are cheaper, some more expensive. Wages in my industry were half what they were in the UK, so the balance was completely out of whack, but these are calcs you can figure out before you go. In general, if you live in the North, then expect your cost of living to increase significantly, if you live in the South, then the difference should be marginal. If you live in London, then you'll save.

Gangs??? Vancouver??? You'd have to go looking really hard to find them if they even exist. And even if you found them, they'd be highly unlikely to be anywhere near as bad as 'chavs'.  Racism? I'm sure it exists in places, but Vancouver is full of Asians, racism just isn't acceptable in most social circles I'm aware of.

If you like outdoor activities, then you'll enjoy Vancouver an order of magnitude more than the UK. However, I always found myself missing the British sense of humour. Vancouverites are less outgoing, more insular, it's a harder city to make friends in than many others. That said, through your husband's work and your kid's schools it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Dear Members,

Some inappropriate posts have been removed from this discussion.

Thank you for your understanding :)

Maximilien.
Expat.com Team.

Hi Guys..

I am a 27 year old female from UK and me and my boyfriend are looking into moving to Vancouver.
I work in administration and the hotel industry and my boyfriend is a chef.
I would like some advise as to what the city is like, living expenses, finding jobs, things to do, weather?
We are a young couple who enjoy socialising and going out, however i have heard the night life in Vancouver is not very lively?
Any info would be appreciated

Jade,

I'm a Canadian and lived in Vancouver for 28 years before comiing to Brazil, so I can speak with absolute authority on this subject.

Vancouver is without a doubt the most expensive city in Canada in terms of cost of living, so much so that the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have to pay a premium to officers they post to the Lower Mainland. Rents and home prices are through the roof, so you'll need to make a very good salary in order to be comfortable.

Finding a job will depend on your qualifications and related experience. Just remember you're going to be competing for every job vacancy with every other newcomer to Canada as well as unemployed locals, so it's not going to be easy. Just remember that Vancouver is one of the top three destinations for newcomers to Canada, so there's going to be lots of them out there looking for work too.

The climate in the Lower Mainland is about as good as it gets anywhere in Canada, so that's going to be no problem. While it does snow in the winter that doesn't last too long, get used to rain that's the usual winter weather. Summer is pure heaven, never too hot. Vancouver is the place for year-round outdoor activities if you're the athletic type.

Don't know where you heard the information about the nightlife in Vancouver not being very lively, but that's absolutely wrong. The night life is exceptional and so varied that it suits every taste. Not only that but it's such a safe city that you can go out any hour day or night in safety.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

I think the view point on night life in Vancouver stems from the Bars and Clubs closing earlier than in a lot of cities. I think that some of  the restrictions have eased, but haven't lived there in 5 years, so I'm not sure. There are tons of things to do at night, not just got to clubs. There are beer and wine crawls combined with slam poetry, dinner theatre, amazing dining experiences, the symphony, opera, jazz and blues clubs, venues with plays, musicals etc, neighbourhood venues with local talent on offer, plus professional sports teams and tons of outdoor activities just paces from your door.
I've lived in both Vancouver (for most of my life) and Victoria (5 years) and I loved them both. Victoria is more laid back (often lovingly cited as home of the newly wed and nearly dead) and offers a much quieter lifestyle. (Not that there isn't clubs and bars.) Vancouver is an amazing city with tons to offer everyone (as long as you have money - a lot of money). Almost everything is expensive: housing, groceries, transportation, insurance etc. You can get very good and fairly inexpensive food in restaurants, but you have to know what you're looking for. The only reason I don't live in Vancouver now is because of the cost of living. Where we live now, neither of us has to work, whereas in Vancouver we'd still have to be working full time until our mortgage was paid off and my husband turned 65.