Craft store in Budapest?

I am planning on making my own Halloween costume for an upcoming party. Are there any stores in Budapest where I can find like fake leaves and possibly fake fruit? Stores similar to ones in America like Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. Thanks!

Hey, there is a hobby shop in the West End shopping mall, you'll find it next to the supermarket (i think it's a Match or Spar), on the lower ground floor.

The don't have fake leaves, but being autumn and all you'll probably find a few in the park ;)

Colin

xmelindag wrote:

I am planning on making my own Halloween costume for an upcoming party. Are there any stores in Budapest where I can find like fake leaves and possibly fake fruit? Stores similar to ones in America like Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. Thanks!

I think there's one in Mammut at Moscow Square and possibly you could also try Muller for arts and crafts.

Thanks! Do any of these stores have fabrics as well?

xmelindag wrote:

Thanks! Do any of these stores have fabrics as well?

Not that I know of. You'd have to go to a fabric place for that. We've found it very difficult to get fabric but Ikea sell fabric by the metre.

Hi,

Big stores (Tesco, Cora, Auchan, etc) tend to have these kinds of things fairly cheap but in small selection.

Craft stores usually have "művész" (art) in their name.
Fabrics are sold in "méteráru" and "lakástextil" shops.
There are a bunch around Oktogon.

And there's no Halloween in Hungary, there's a very solemn "day of the dead" on Nov 2, which is a public holiday.

Our fancy dress parties are around Farsang, celebrating the end of winter.

Thank you! :)

My boyfriend and I are throwing our own Halloween party at our apartment since it's not celebrated here. I can't miss the chance to have a Halloween party. :)

szocske wrote:

And there's no Halloween in Hungary, there's a very solemn "day of the dead" on Nov 2, which is a public holiday

Grasshopper,

I thought the public holiday was on Thursday 1st November.

Am I wrong?

Fluffy

fluffy2560 wrote:
szocske wrote:

And there's no Halloween in Hungary, there's a very solemn "day of the dead" on Nov 2, which is a public holiday

I thought the public holiday was on Thursday 1st November.
Am I wrong?
Fluffy

You are both right:  all saints day is a public holiday since 2001
as usual here, you get the Thursday(All Souls' Day = day of dead, Halottak Napja) off to get the long weekend, but must go to work on one saturday afterwards.
- and all saints' is also the starting date for my first ever work contract in Hungary - Is that a good sign...? ;)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Saints%27_Day
but s. the hungarian version for local habits.

Yes, Halloween is not a big deal hear but I'd bet there will still be a couple of parties around the city with that theme:-)

I just found a great hobby store in Allee shopping center (Oktober 23 utca) its on the top floor.  They had lots of fabric as well as a good variety of arts and crafts. 
You can also check out: http://hobbymuvesz.hu/hobbi_boltok
for several locations of craft stores.
also pirex.hu (Pirex Papir)
and panton.hu
are art supply stores, some crafts as well.

There are loads of Halloween parties around Budapest, even if Hungary doesn't celebrate Halloween. White Angel has one every year. Beckett's has one every year. Jack Doyle's has one every year... and on and on and on. There are plenty of places to celebrate. You will have a blast. :)