Caja: Chicken or Egg

I have read that to join Caja you must have resident status.

I have also read that one of the requirements to get residency status you must show that you are signed up and paying Caja.

This sounds like a "catch 22" type of situation.

Can anyone clarify what the real requirement is here?  Since lots of folks gain residency, I am sure that there is some way around this apparent procedural problem.

Please advise..

Thanks.

Actually you can sign up without having the residency, because this is one of the requirements when you apply for residency.

They don't want any members that don't have residency. But it is a loop hole, you can be in the caja for years without ever applying for residency.

Welcome to Costa Rica!!

While I do know one person who was able to join the Caja without residency several years ago, I'm not sure that is the case now.

Once you apply for Caja, and your application has been approved, there is a time period of 1-2 months approximately before you have your final appointment with Migracion and receive your Cedula (residency card). It is during this period that you would sign up for the Caja. And when you go for your final residency appointment, you would show proof that you have joined the Caja. We have friends who just went through the process and this is what they did.

Hope this helps.
Gloria Yeatman