Possible to leave a life behind?

I'm a healthy older guy who's worked all his life and now at age 60 retired from radio broadcasting.  Very interested in life in Taiwan, possibly teaching English and at the same time, learning Mandarin.  I've been studying it for a few years now and it's making sense to me.  :-)

How and where do I begin to start fresh there?  Thanks!

Hello baba pengyou.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope other members will be able to advise you.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thank you, Aurelie, me too.
I'm very interested in learning how to transfer money and find a place to live.

Ni hao,

I was in your situation a couple of years ago, I've just posted "Living in Taichung - Helpful advice" on the noticeboard.

Check it out, I'm happy to answer any question you may have

In regards in transferring money if you have a maestro,cirrus or eftpos card (check the back of any of your cards - bottom right) you can use them over here *bank charges apply! (short term solution)

Then as soon as you get up and running you'll be able to open up a local bank account with the required paperwork - address, ARC number, employment etc - once you have the BSB number and account details you can transffer into that.

Hope that helps
James

Hi,

I am a local, just read ur message. But someone already answerd ur questions. Hope everything will be ok with you. I live in the south of Taiwan,near Kaohsiung. If you come to Taiwan and settle down and travel to Pingtung or Kaohsiung. U are welcome to visit me. Have a very good time here :-)

Best wishes

Peteryu

I want to do the same thing.  I'm 66, retired and I desperately want to immigrate to Taiwan for the rest of my life.  I love the Island and the people. There are three issues which make this dream a nightmare:

1.  Taiwan's immigration laws are as difficult as the USA's.  Trying to get an ARC (their Green Card) is very difficult.  But if you have lots of money that might be your ticket in.  Otherwise you're doomed to a life in Taiwan teaching English with some ornery English school (if you have at least a Bachelors degree in something, anything).

2.  Health insurance and Medicare.  I am not sure Medicare nor any additional health insurance plan will cover you in Taiwan.  The good news:  Taiwan's medical system is just as good as America's and procedures cost about a tenth of what they would in the USA.

3.  It may be difficult to find quality rental property at a reasonable rental price.  It seems that as soon as a landlord discovers you're from the USA they automatically think you are a millionaire.  My target city is New Taipei City (and it's environs).

Some have said that you can get a 90-day Visa and then just go to Hong Kong and renew it every time it expires.  Guess what?  They do not always automatically renew a Visa.  Do you want to pay for air/boat fare every 90 days to and from HK?

I have written to Taiwan's government about immigrating.  They wrote back with the most circular answer I have ever read.

I think Taiwan is missing a great way to bring $$$$$ to the island if they would make it easier for retirees to immigrate easily.  If I can live in the USA on $36,000 per year I can live like a King in Taiwan.  I don't see what problems that would bring to Taiwan.  If I could immigrate with my $36K annual income I would leave in a heart beat.

Anybody have any definitive info that makes it possible for a retiree to immigrate to Taiwan by obtaining an ARC?