Good job in home country vs migration to Australia

I was granted Australian PR 2 years ago. My visa will be expired in 3 years. Currently I am working with a great multinational company in Vietnam as a Chief Financial Officer earning a very good package with lots of benefits. It is such a big decision whether I should give up my current job and move to Australia for the great opportunity for my kids. Question also come to my mind is that would it is better for my kids if I stay and earn lot of money for them and send them to study in OZ. With the overseas education and money to start up their own business, my kids may be better off than if I move to OZ and they have to start to look for a job from scratch after university. I really can't make the decision. Any comments/ ideas are much appreciated.

Hi,

You may   want to take  sometime  before deciding.  Heard of many   professionals being  retrenched. If you  are earning very  good  income back home, is a big gamble to migrate now I think.  Children can still apply for  their own Aussie PR as long as they are qualified with the paper  qualifications and work experience and you being their  parents can be sponsored by  them or you can still FIFO after all tourist visa is for one year with max stay 3 months  each   time..

Regards
LLOH

Hi LLoh,

Thank you for your comments.

All my family members, wife and 2 children, have been granted the OZ PR visa and they will be expired at the same time as mine. I visited Melbourne and Syndey two times so far and I love the life there. However, as you said, It is a big gamble to give up my current job which I am earning good money and move to another place where job is still a dream. if I decide to move, I don't expect I can earn as good as my current job and I expect do down grade a life style because of the hight costs of living and low income in OZ.

My friends who decided to migrate before me told that life is tough during the first 2 years until I can get a permanent job and usually for Asian it would usually take one and half to 2 years to get the permanent job. The only encouragement for me to overcome the gamble is that I can always return back to my country if the things in OZ are not suitable for me. Of course the job that i am having now will be fullfilled by somebody. But I believe that i still can manage to get a job in my country although it wont be as good as the one I am doing now. But, before I return back, I will make sure my whole family will have Australian passport which mean I have to stay in OZ at least 4 years. This could be considered as a trade off between the opportunity that I give up and the Australian passport. It may be better for my children In the future. But, if I am lucky, I may get a satisfied job and stay in OZ indefinitely.

Anyway I still have 3 more years to decide. Hope Oz economy will improve and the job market is good.

Have a good days!

Cheers

Hi Tong,

Just to let you know that you need to reside in OZ for at least 2 out of 5 years in order to be eligible for Resident Return Visa which is basically PR renewal. See the links below. So, you don't have much time now.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residen … -works.htmhttp://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residen … bility.htm

Btw, you are right in that most migrant will struggle for the first 2 years. My friend who has migrated told me that and now I'm experiencing it first hand. So, you need to be mentally prepared to be unemployed for a long time.

Hi Beagle2k

Thank your for the reminder. Yes, time is flying and I still cant decide whether to move or not. It is a big decision. I think I still have 2 years more to decide. I heard as long as I move to OZ before my visa is expired, then it is fine. Definitely i cant travel out of OZ until I stay there for 2 years. I am trying to save the money before I move so that I can still survive if I cant get a job for a period of time. But, two years out of job is scary. We move for better life, but it seems the other way around. But, i believe in long term it is a right decison, especially my children generation. In my country, with my skill, there are plenty of job opportunities for me. The only motivation for me to move to OZ is that it is not a one way decision. I still can return back to my home country to restart my career again if things in OZ are really unfit for me.

Cheers

Hi Tong,

Upon checking with my cousin, I found what you said is true. You still can come in right before your visa expire. However, if you leave OZ prior to getting your RRV, you will not be able to return. That is a scary thought.

The government's advise of bringing at least A$40K to survive 1 year of unemployment must not be taken lightly. The rent here is very expensive and it keeps going up. More than A$20K p.a. goes to the rent and you are not entitle to unemployment benefit, rental subsidy & austudy in the first 2 years.

In order to minimize the risk, I had to come alone and get a job before I could bring my family over. It has been about 8 months and I'm still having a tough time getting a Systems Engineer/Admin job. All I can find is casual job in supermarket & IT industry and the income is hardly enough to get me by.

Most jobs are either casual, part time or short term contract (3-6 months). Be aware that your resume (over qualification) may be your biggest obstacle in finding casual or part time jobs.

Make sure your resume is customized for each job you apply and it must contain key words specific to the requirement of the job. Most job websites use filter to filter out generic resumes that do not contain matching key words. So, most resumes never make it to the hiring manager's mailbox.