Scuba diving in Ecuador?

I'm considering the move to Ecuador from the States and I enjoy scuba diving. Anyone know of any scuba shops? I am familiar with the live-aboard trips to the Galapagos, but I'm more interested in small shops to fill tanks and recommend locations divable from shore.

Thanks for any info.

Hi 4fester & welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be given some tips.;)

Harmonie.

Scuba Diving is great in Ecuador. The Galapagos Islands are one of the top 10 best dive destinations in the world. Go here for more information:

yourescapetoecuador.com/activities/take-the-plunge-scuba-diving-in-ecuador/

4fester wrote:

I am familiar with the live-aboard trips to the Galapagos, but I'm more interested in small shops to fill tanks and recommend locations divable from shore.

Other than Galapagos, it looks (based on online info only) that Machalilla (near Puerto Lopez in Manabi) is the most popular scuba area.

Probably most of the larger coastal cities would have at least a shop or two where you could fill tanks.

If anyone gets more info, please post it.

Bob

I'm also interested in diving this summer if it's affordable and I am in a good position to make a trip.

How strict are they on certifications? It's been a lot of years since I looked at any dive charts, and it'd take at least a small refresher course for me to remember exactly how to understand the times and depths.

The reason I ask is that not everywhere is as strict as the U.S. I went scuba diving in Barbados years ago, and the guy was like, "Have you ever been diving? Do you know how to use this stuff.?" I said yes, and his response was, "Ok, here's your gear. Get in the van." :)

It seems likely that Ecuador would be more like Barbados than like the US.

I assume a US divemaster would be worried about lawsuits if someone uncertified or out of practice had an accident -- few other places have the liability issues that the US does.

But that's speculation -- I'd love to get some info from people who are actually there and diving, but there don't seem to be many on this forum.

Bob