Dependant visa for Mother and general Queries about Oman

Hi,

I am from Mumbai- India. I am about to finalize a offer from an employer. They are paying me RO 1600 per month all inclusive. (Annual air fare and leave extra)

I want to know how easy/ difficult is to get my mother to Oman?
My family consists of my mother, wife and a daughter. My prospective employers are willing to arrange for my wife and child, but not mother. However, I would not like to leave here in India all alone. What is the cost associated with it.

The answer to this question will ensure my decision to shift or not.

Further, is the salary enough to earn a decent living. I do not know driving, so will it be advisable to learn driving in India and then come there. I know I may have to take classes there, but nevertheless, may be a little helpful, would it not?

Please advice me about the general costs, including Indian school for my child.

Thanks

Hello svprabhu1978.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you'll soon be helped by other members.

Do not hesitate to go through the other threads on the Muscat forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

hi svprabhu1,

Welcome to Expat.coms.

Well the answer to your first question regarding the visa for your mother is dependent on your employer. If they agrees to provide a visa for her then it will not be a problem, other way is tourist or visit visa which some of the travel agents provide you but it will cost you around 150 Riyal just for visa.
I suggest you to communicate with your employer and get their confirmation, normally it would not be a problem for them.

Secondly, regarding 1600 OMR as a pay is good enough to enjoy a better life style. 1BHK flat costs you around 300 OMR per month, and other expenses are again dependent on your own living style. Generally, 200 OMR per month for kitchen and utility bills is the cost at average.

I recommend you to learn a bit driving in India before coming here, and if you could get your Indian driving license it would help you to skip 2 out of 3 driving tests in Oman.

Hope my answers would be helpful.

Hi Mr.Prabhu,

Related to your query, usually an employer will have no objection in bringing one's mother to the country as dependent, as long as you agree to pay the visa processing charges, OMR 20/- or so. Amd after reaching Oman, you can apply for her resident card which may cost another OMR 20/-. About the salary you were offered, its really handsome amount to lead a life here in Oman (depending on ur wise choice. Hope this little feedback can be useful to you. Cheers... n welcome to Oman..!!!

@ Omanipaki and sisyphean I sincerely hope that the employer helps me in the visa, although the cost will need to be borne by me. Thanks for your thoughts. My reservations with the tourist visa is that it will be a regular hassle to get them, resident visa, no issues.

Thanks both of you for your thoughts. I may be in Oman early next year. Thanks again :-)

Hi,
I would like to bring my mother in-law to Oman on permanent visa.
(Her husband recently died and my wife is her only kid to take care of her for her rest of life). I came to know a letter from embassy approving above facts will help me to get it done through my employer. I would like to know what is the procedure for the same.

thanks
vibhi

Omanipaki,
Can you elaborate on the tests that are skipped (2 out of 3 that you referred above) if a person has Indian driving license. And how old it should be?
Also, read somewhere that there are 5 tests in total to obtain Omani driving license.
Thanks!

rover1 wrote:

Omanipaki,
Can you elaborate on the tests that are skipped (2 out of 3 that you referred above) if a person has Indian driving license. And how old it should be?
Also, read somewhere that there are 5 tests in total to obtain Omani driving license.
Thanks!

In order to obtain a driving license, you would have to do the following tests,

1. Traffic Sign Test - They have a large board and ask you to identify the different traffic signs (piece of cake)

2. Drum Test - Drums arranged in the form of a T - have to drive forward and back through the drums....

3. Slope test - You will be required to hill start your car without free-wheeling or rolling downhill.

4. Road Test - On the road and is left upto the discretion of the examiner to test your road driving abilities, be prepared to answer questions, interpret information and listen to direction from the examiner.

If you have an Indian driving license, you can get it attested from the Indian embassy for 5 OMR (please check the price) and skip tests 2 & 3. You would still have to do 1 & 4.

Hope thats helpful.

Rammy