Is it true?

Hi guys,

I just heard from my husbands sister that it's forbidden for a husband to be with his wife during childbirth? I am expecting and don't speak Arabic and completely relying on my husband on my bedside. Since day one I have not been comfortable with  doctors or nurses atleast the hospital im getting my prenatal visits . Truly so far not once in over three months they ever took my vitals. And finally I demanded for one. It seems it's so much work for nurses, they rush thru everything n don't even know the simplest task of taking any vital signs. They always sit n chat around n when asked to do their jobs, seems too much for them:-/ like taking blood pressure or UA dips n such. I am myself An EMT at trauma Centre back in California. I did these for a living n reviving dead people back to life mostly!. Tho Obviously I cannot compare the service standards of US with Jordan. But I'm freaking out if this statement is true. Do they make acceptions for foreigners that husbands attend birth n be the main support. My husbands my only comfort n I cannot do this without him. Otherwise we will return back to states to deliver. However, anyone know of any good hospitals or doctors in Amman for OBGYN care. And pediatricians? I am currently in Al-husn, irbid, and using services from king Abdullah in Ar ramtha.

Will appreciate any feedback

Thank you
R

Congratulations to you... I am a mother of three boys..and I delivered them all in Amman... and as far as I know my husband was allowed to be with me during delivery... it was just him that couldn't bear the sight of blood and all.. instead my mother-in-law was with me in all three occasions..  husband was in the labour ward though.. just not beside me.  I went to Khalidi Hospital in Jabal Amman and they served me good.. and I don't speak fluent Arabic either. So, I guess it is better to check with the  hospital where you intend to deliver the baby. Best of luck :)

Thank you savanah n um jacoub for your positive responses;) this is somewhat a relief to me that it may be a cultural thing for some people. It just scared me when I was told by two of his sisters that hubby can't be with me inside. We will talk to my Obstetrician and clarify this with him on Tuesday since we going to tour the labor and delivery. I am already soooo nervous about delivery let alone dunno what I would do if they won't allow him:( tho my husbands vey supportive n wants to be with me through out the whole process. I'm teaching him accupressure techniques n partner yoga for nothing lol. My mom in law has had 14 kids naturally and at home!! I dunno how she did it.. Props to her but since this is my first baby n I'm just a nervous wreck who wouldnt wanna go into a

... a panic mode during labor. My biggest fear since childhood has been labor pains. This is the time that NO ONE can help you and we women as an individual have to do all alone. We're on our own :-/ You  tube is my best friend right now to learn all techniques of breathing n such but who knows when the time comes what I would do.

Again thank you ladies ;)

It is a little bit late but I have the same experiences like the ladies above: my husband was with me during the very fast delivery.
So it is possible!!!

From me also the best congratulations and I hope that you get your baby safe and healthy.

Thank you Primadonna,

I'm starting to feel so much better already;) My OB  was highly recommended by my bro in law who is also a GYN and practiced in UK for 20 years before moving back to Jordan. I am very comfortable with him as he speaks very good english but its the nurses I cannot communicate since they mostly speak Arabic. But it's sure gives me some comfort now that three of you responded that husbands were ok to be with you.

Thank you

Pls do not talk about labour pains... the moment you deliver, you'll soon forget about the pains... so you can understand why many mothers do not stop at one unless you are in China..hehheehe.  I didn't go to the hospital till the contractions were very close apart... I rather be at the comfort of my home than to be in the ward. The hospital isn't so far away and so I had this privilege. Since you have someone you know to assist in your delivery then all yo have to do is relax. I pray for a safe delivery and healthy bundle of joy to you and spouse.

Primadonna ,

It's funny,  I have attended three births ( epidural ofcourse) of my cousins n sister n was their coach thru out the whole process. They thanked me afterwards for being supportive n talking thru with them. However, when it comes to myself .. It's a no go! It's easier to help others than be the one suffering. I think I watched a natural birth video which was quite intense n left me traumatized lol . Since then I'm having nightmares lol. My husband tells me to chill n not over think things n chill.

The hospital I will deliver is about 10-15min drive n I just got the words from doc today that hubby can stay with me yet needs to be arrange ahead of time.. Whatever that means. Even my Doc was saying the same as you said" women scream or are in so much pain tho once the baby is out.. Not one peek, it's like nothing happened n they forget about it n never talk about that pain again. It's actually a wonderful experience that only we women get to feel. The first movements of the baby inside the belly, the natural oxytocin release right after birth n bonding with the child. I can't wait to meet my baby ;) I guess all my whining about the labor pains are totally worth it at the end.

Well, I am an exception: by all my deliveries I felt no pain at all and within a half hour from the first contraction I delivered all my kids :thanks::cheers::one

Till now I am very gratefull for this gift.
And of course for my beautiful and healhty kids.

Primadonna,

Inti Superwoman... wallah... heheheh

Sukran Umm Jacoub, ana baraf.

Thanks, Umm Jacoub, I know.

Very lucky lady that you never felt pain! bionic woman;)

Hi there..
Congrats! I was in the same position exactly the same year. Well it depends on the hospital actually, but most of them do let your hubby in.
I wanted my husband to be with me so badly, but in the end he didn't come in, and I didn't regret that choice.
And most of the nurses and the midwives in private hospitals are asian, sweet and speak very good English.
Good luck and wish you the best! Enjoy the most divine experience on earth!

BTW my OBS was GREAT, and I delivered in the arabic center hospita and I was vrey comfortable. It depends on your budget, but I can assure you you can get a very goo health care in Amman. IF you need my doctor's name you can inbox me, and ask me anything you want about pregnancy or delivary in amman, I'm a doc ;)

Alstroemeria,

Thank you and I will definitely keep that in mind since I drive my OB nuts with lists of questions each visit. Are you an OB or GP?

I prefer to go to Amman tho hubby is nervous that the drive would be too long if went into labor. We live in irbid and using KAUH for services.  I have to admit thar my OB is very nice n listens to my concerns n answers any questions at visits or even over phone.  It's not him I was worried about but his staff nurses. I find most of them not really reliable " my personal experience so far. But I gotta give them a chance n work this out. But I can always keep your doc info handy just in case ;) again thanks a lot for the info. I will inbox  you.

R

You're welcome dear :)
I'm a GP. Feel free to inbox me about anything anytime :)