Mental Health and Visa Requirements

Hello, I am from the USA and considering coming to Bahrain to work in an office job. I noticed on the LMRA website that "Psychiatric diseases" are one of the reasons for being rejected as unfit for work.

My situation is that several years ago I went into treatment for alcohol abuse. While there I was diagnosed with "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder." I think it was probably a bogus diagnosis but that is besides the point, since it is now in my medical records somewhere.

My question is whether this will be an issue or something that will be uncovered during the medical examination process. I am physically very healthy and there is no chance that any doctor would be able to "observe" any mental problems. My worry is that if they pull my detailed medical records, my past could be in the file somewhere (with an insurance company, etc.,). I am aslo prescribed Zoloft, which I am worried might flag their attention.

Should I be worried, or is it really in practice just a "surface" examination for infectious disease and other physical impairments.

Thanks!

hi

I am a physician working in Bahrain years ago.

the pre-employment examination for LMRA is a general test, easy to be passed as the 'controlled medical conditions' are always accepted.

few employers have their own pre-employment tests & it's more complicated (may be includes Psychiatric examination & Drugs addiction tests).

But even in this case, I think controlled OCD is still accepted.

furthermore the medical records from your doctor or your insurance company are never requested.

One more important note; be sure to bring your medical prescription if you 'll bring your medications 'Zoloft' with you in the airport (police checks for controlled medications).

feel free to contact me if you still have query

Sherif

You have nothing to worry about. The medical examination required for the visa will not dive into your historic records. They may 'ask' you if you have or had any condition of XYZ but it's up to you how you want to answer - it's not like they will look into your medical history.

When it comes to the pills you are taking, make sure you have enough supply with you once you get here as I'm not sure if you will be able to get the same pill here - I will check as soon as I pass a Pharmacy.