Obtaining a work permit

Could anyone tell me how easy it is to obtain a work permit so that I can work using my computer from vietnam? I currently do the work in the UK and the money I receive is from the UK too. I am interested in moving to Asia. Can anyone tell me how easy it would be to obtain a work permit to ensure that I was legally allowed to work in vietnam? Also could anyone tell me if this would allow me to only continue doing work outside vietnam or if I would be able to try and find some customers within vietnam? My business involves online advertising and does not require anything more than myself and my computer so I would not need an office for example. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi
For working permit, I think I can help you, but I am not really sure to understand what you want to do. So please give more info.

Beware of offers of help UNTIL you know on what basis they are made - free or fee.

Why do you need a work permit if you are working on-line and not actually having a business here in VN OR working for a company as an employee?

Get a residence permit, if you must, so you have status. You will require a police certificate from Hampshire.

Well I was not as concerned about obtaining a work permit for the current work I am doing online involving companies from the UK but If I was to start operating with companies in Vietnam (not that it would necessarily happen) I was wondering if there was a way I could ensure that I was doing so legally?

hod5on wrote:

I was wondering if there was a way I could ensure that I was doing so legally?

Work permit - the full program

l3ully wrote:
hod5on wrote:

I was wondering if there was a way I could ensure that I was doing so legally?

Work permit - the full program

What do you mean the full program? Do you have any information about how to obtain one or if it is possible to do so to be self employed?

Incorrect, again, l3ully.

IF you are a company officer you do not need a Work Permit. One of the major benefits accruing to VN through Work Permits is the collection of taxes.

When you establish and register a company, under VN law, they will also get their cut.

A work permit is not required from the following Foreign employees:
* A member or owner of a limited liability company or a member of the board of management of a shareholding company.
* A person offering services to practice law, under a professional license issued by the Ministry of Justice.
* A Chief Representative Officer, Chief Project Officer, or representative of a foreign non-governmental organization for its operation in VietNam.
* An internal transferee of a company that engages in one of 11 service sectors as stated in VietNam's WTO service commitments.
* A person providing professional and technical consultancy service or conducting other missions serving for the implementation, evaluation, and supervision of Official Development Aid programs or projects according to the agreements signed between foreign parties and the Vietnamese Government.
* A person permitted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to conduct media activities in VietNam.

Exemption of employment licenses
Under Decree 34/2008/NĐ-CP regulating the recruitment and management of foreigners working in VietNam, all Foreign labourers must acquire employment license to work in VietNam, except for:

* Working for less than three months;
* Being members of liability-limited companies with two members and above;
* Being the owner of single-member liability-limited companies;
* Being members of the Board of Management of a joint stock company;
* Entering VietNam to resolve emergency situations such as technically or technologically breakdowns which can negatively affect production or business and are not settled by Vietnamese and foreign experts in VietNam.

These rules also apply in Nha Trang.

As I said before, l3ully, you got bad advice or misunderstood the info supplied.

I have had VN registered companies for years and all I bother with is a Residence Permit (ease of border crossing). I also hold nine Ministry of Culture publisher permits and they accept my status, too.

Check your PM, OP, I sent you a link.

A work permit is not required for investors (you own/open here a company, as director or share holder).

I assume, you want to make something like the UK, 1 man ltd, that is not really possible in Vietnam, or you still might need a WP going with it (if you want to outsource yourself), you need a Vietnamese director, and/or, you need a quite serious capital investment to have/own it alone (can take ages).
As for times - unless you invest seriously or buy into an existing company, it needs to "age" at least 8 weeks, and if you want to work LEGALLY BEFORE, you still need theoretically your WP

With that going a number of obligations/rights, Vietnamese taxes/bookkeeping, residency...  I am not sure, if that is at the still lucrative, 25% corporation tax+, VAT, you might need licences/permits to advertise prices different from VND, for foreign invoices, otherwise, you can only invoice in VND (which is in theory possible, however there are limits on "bringing in" ... and you always will have the 3rd slip missing, if you send your invoices abroad - your book keeping will kill you soon .....)and many other grey area things sorted, if you want to do alone and total legal.

Just think twice, if its really worthwhile for a one-man-thing.

Corporation forms and advantages/possibilities are discussed here frequently, but also follow the English teacher things - rules are the same.
Yes, I have and need (not sure why, never being checked on, but advised to better have) a WP (even if normally not requirement). It's the smallest amount and my staff get paid for doing the paperworks.