Insurance question

Hi, I live in hcmc now, could live here for quite long time, but don't have any insurance ,I don't have any company , should get private insurance, any suggestion about it? Thanks very much

Health, property or vehicle?

If you are after medical, you will have to use from abroad, if not working. If working in Vietnam you can get for basic medical insured with 3.5% (?) of your taxed income.

l3ully wrote:

If you are after medical, you will have to use from abroad, if not working. If working in Vietnam you can get for basic medical insured with 3.5% (?) of your taxed income.

Not correct - medical insurance plans for Foreigners are available right here in VN and are independent of employment.

You mean the "pay as you go"?

Thanks for your guys reply. I mean healthy insurance, I'm not working.

Hi qian,

so far nobody in a forum did report a medical insurance from in Vietnam, which will cover a similar standard to a western style insurance.
There are a few from western countries, which are long term very expansive and/or having conditions, a real expat ( not the ones, who spending a month here and returning again after a month back to here ..), staying PERMANENT here, does not fulfill.
If you have a residence in your home country, there are better possibilities to make it from there.

http://bluecross.com.vn/en/

l3ully wrote:

so far nobody in a forum did report a medical insurance from in Vietnam...

Not every bit of information ends up in a chat room but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or happen.

I know where you can find a Western-trained doctor who does abortions but since this has never come up here it has never been mentioned. But he still exists.

l3ully wrote:

If you have a residence in your home country, there are better possibilities to make it from there.

Why? Western insurers are already very wealthy, why increase it.

Better to get a local insurer, with identical coverage, knowledge of the country, choice of practitioner and, most importantly, lower premium cost.

I know more than one western trained doctor here in NT, one of them speaks fluent German - my native language and one a almost fluent English privately and know another one, who speaks a quite reasonable English, therefore  no problems, one is always reachable.
I only have the VN basic coverage which does suffice for me (so far).

The option from Panda, I just check out; In Germany a good private insurance would be (a bit)less with a much higher coverage.
A good friend of mine, who died a couple of month ago, did run up 4 years ago the max covered amount in less than 3 weeks in Saigon, therefore I not see this as a sufficient coverage, leave alone the premium.

From what I can tell the max with blue cross is about 5,000,000,000vnd which is about $240,000 USD. I don't think they cover you for motorbike accident but instead go through a third party associate where the maximum is only $50,000 USD. I personally don't think this is enough cover as your most likely form of injury is from motorbike accident so I have to go through insurance from my home country. For them to cover me for motorbike I had to get my Vietnamese license which I've done.

If you do take out health insurance you need to read the policy wording. The majority of health insurers do not cover accident my motorbike which is the most likely reason in Vietnam you'll will end up in hospital with serious injuries.

Hello qian.

You can also consult our partner for a free quote : https://www.expat.com/en/insurance/asia/vietnam/;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

The problem with Aurélie's suggestion, apart from the multiple pages you have to navigate to get a quote, is that travel insurance differs from foreign residential and foreign employment insurance.

They'll all accept your premium payments BUT before the honour claims they review your application to see if there is an 'out' to avoid payment.

Remember the late Alan King and the 'good hands' people (Allstate)?

Using an insurer not located in VietNam adds complications. FV Hospital, the no licence hospital, couldn't contact an accident victim's insurer for approval on a weekend so they demanded a USD$2,000 deposit. That is not insurance cover.

Ever tried getting a $2,000 ATM withdrawal from an ATM on a weekend?

As he couldn't raise the cash he was transported to Cho Ray Hospital where the patient comes before money.

AND never buy health coverage from a bank - they are all way, way too high.

thanks for your reply:D

try baoviet.
www.baoviet.com.vn/baohiem
[email protected]

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/br … 6490180123

Premium prices / costs vary by home country - as the insurers can recover some expenses from government insurance plans.

The States, having minimal coverage until Obamacare kicks in, results in high premiums whereas Canada, with US type fees is far less because of government insurance. 

The UK NHS results in lower private insurance premiums.