Is worklife in Dubai more stressful than where you come from?

Hi

I am curious about how you the reader feel about working in Dubai, especially if you come from a western country.

From the occasional news (which I admit that I am not sure how 'correct' they are) and from a friend that worked in UAE as an IT consultant for 6 months I get the impression that...

1. the system there requires a large personal debt load (due to the need for a car, etc), and

2. employment seems to be 'at-will' (and more so at the will of the employer than the employee) in that if the management does not like the shape of your nose or how you reply back to them, they may send you packing, and

3. when companies are not doing well they may quickly lay off the workers who are then left dealing with the debt accrued in the country.

Besides above there is also a 4th item that I was curious about whether it is true. It is that employees are cautious about airing their opinions at public websites.

What would you say about this impression? That I should stop reading too much in between lines? Or that all of this could be correct in some cases? Or something else?

I would like to know. Not that I plan moving there, it's mainly because of being curious as to how working life is over there. Especially now when Dubai government has defaulted on its debt.

cheers

Is there age discrimination in Dubai especially in hiring teachers?

What should a teacher know and be very aware of when it comes to working in public schools?

Do teachers get much respect from other citizens in Dubai?

jjoensuu, to correct your last comment first - Dubai government has not defaulted on any debt. The latest story is not about government debt.

What has happened is that two companies are negotiating with investors to have maturing loan and bond payments delayed and other debt restructured. The first payment, of a bond, is due on December 14.

Point 1. The system doesn't demand a big personal debt load, that's a personal choice. If you want a car and don't have cash to pay for it then you need a bank loan - exactly the same as you would in any other country.

Point 2, yes, the employer can fire people.

Point 3, yes, companies in financial hard times can lay off workers, like they do in other countries. It only leads to people having debt problems if they got themselves into debt in the first place. Like any other country, if you borrow money you have to pay it back.

Point 4. Yes of course employees are careful about what they say on websites - as they are anywhere in the world. People have been fired in many countries because of what they posted about their employers.

bisayako  - why do you think there would be any discrimination in Dubaiage in hiring teachers? There is none.

I believe it very much depends on who you work for. If you work for a local company on a local job assignment, you do not really belong to yourself.

If they want to fire you - off they go. I won't manage to open your mouth. I saw that a lot when my company started experiencing troubles. Managers just took people's badges and laptops and followed them to the door...

---
My blog at Expatriate Life in Dubai.

Not at all, I feel life here is much more relaxing than life in the USA. One thing I don't miss at all about living in the USA, that is a mailbox full of bills.