Considering move to Riyadh

Hi,
I am currently living in the UK, and have been offered a job opportunity in Riyadh. I would be moving with my wife (no children).

I have been offered a total package of £85k. All my living costs will need to be covered by this amount (rent in a western compound, health ins, food, etc etc).

I would appreciate any advise as to whether this would cover our monthly expenses and allow us to save at the same time.

Thanks, Mel

melone wrote:

I have been offered a total package of £85k. All my living costs will need to be covered by this amount (rent in a western compound, health ins, food, etc etc).

£85k/year is SR510k/year which is SR42.5k/month which is  unacceptable to some and acceptable to many. It mostly depends on your lifestyle. I've seen people complaining about $200k salaries so I have no idea if that offer is good enough to suffice your needs.

I think you should ask yourself - can you live comfortably with GBP85K in the UK?  In general, the cost of living in the Magic Kingdom is lower than most major metropolitan areas.  In my opinion, your biggest expense would be housing.

Like Bruckner also mentioned - it will also depend on your lifestyle.  Personally, GBP85K (roughly USD137K) is more than enough to live in the Kingdom and have a lot left over for savings and some play money.  :)

Thank you so much for your responses. I would be able to live very comfortably on £85K in the UK, however my biggest concern is the cost of housing in a western compound. We would be looking for a 2 bedroom house in a western compound, but from what I have researched on line it looks like this would cost us in the region of SAR220000 per year. Would this be a fair assessment. I have also looked into health care but am struggling to get a quote on the cost to insure my wife and I. We would want to go for a really good cover as my wife is pregnant(just).

Would be grateful for any feedback.

Mel

Remember that the $$ is tax-free here and possibly is in the UK, too, but you need to check on that.

Hello melone.

You can consult our partner for a free quote : https://www.expat.com/en/insurance/midd … ia/riyadh/;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Mel,

Your employer should provide accommodation. The cost of renting is approximately what you state, but the problem is that companies tend to horde accommodation on compounds, meaning that, while there are empty villas, they are leased out so you may have difficulty getting one on any but the least sought after compounds.

H.