Talk to me about Suicide Showers!

Found two blogs which describe this charming appliance as being pretty ubiquitous all through South America. Instead of the water supply running to your shower from a water heater, the heating element is IN THE SHOWER HEAD!  So, I'm in a 36" X 36" stall, standing under a spray of water which is alternately too hot and too cold, and six inches above my head is a heater running on 440 volts, often connected with bare wires?  I don't think so.

The good news is all the shower stalls are made of stainless steel.
I'm of the same accord as you, you won't find me in one. Plus, they have VERRRRY lax attitudes regarding all electrical in Ecuador. I was touring a beautiful new high rise, and for temporary wiring? They had a strand that ran the length of the building, which was hot. When someone wanted to run temp to a condo, they would just strip a section on that main line, tie into it, and run it to the location. No tape was used, bare wires at every connection site, and all about.... head level. ( head level for Gringos at least ) And elevator shafts? Just open pits.... no guard rails, just open untill they complete it.
OSHA would have brain freeze in Ecuador.

You're incorrect, the voltage, in Ec it is 120v. Most apts. and houses don't even have 220. So what's the big deal about a little smoke and sparks.  Regarding OSHA they don't need bare wires to have brain freeze.

Hmmmmm?
I heard 110 Volts 60 cycles. You sound pretty adamant so I'll bow to your expertise. Whats a few volts give or take I alway's say.

Meanwhile, this Suicide Shower thingee is dangerous as hell and very inconvenient.  And, what does it imply about shaving/washing water? Is there a heating element in the sink spigot? Or does one heat a pan of water on the stove with which to shave?

C'mon you locals:  GIVE!

I've stayed in some pretty crummy hostels and have used these several times without incident, but that doesn't mean I'm not nervous as heck every time I have to use them.  A friend once told me he got a bit of a zap while under the water and touching the knob to turn off the water.  I don't turn on or off the water unless I'm dry and standing outside of the shower.  I have no idea if this technique actually prevents me from getting shocked. It just gives me the courage to use the darn thing.   
  On the plus side when you see them, you know you have a pretty good chance of actually having hot water, and it's instant.  No waiting 20 minutes for the hot water to get to your shower head.  I've never seen a heating element on the sink.  There's usually just one knob.  Best to shave in the shower.

Thanks JM, for the reply.

What you imply, but don't say, is as important to me as what you do say: Yeah, this Suicide Shower is indeed endemic in Ecuador.

Which is bad news on two fronts.  Pleasure: I'm a guy who likes to run through the entire Van Morrison Songbook during my morning shower, Brown Eyed Girl being the closing song.  Danger: You kid about it, and what else would one do? but sheesh! wouldn't be too hard to be killed...lathering up the shampoo, elbow contacts electric wire...ZZZAAAPP.  RIP.

I actually don't feel they are that ubiquitous.  If you're paying more than 7 dollars a night for your room, you might never see them.  I see tankless, natural gas operated water heaters more often.   Natural gas is much cheaper than electricity, so it could make more sense for the owners not to use them.  If you're on the coast or jungle, hot water in any form is a luxury.

yes you are grounded threw the water.....hmmm.. sometimes i get a tingel when i shower.... but it's only 110v...3rd world population control, enjoy livin on the edge.

I have to make a couple corrections to my earlier comments about the electric showers.  I came across this one in Tulcán this past weekend in the Plaza Hotel.  Don't let the name fool you. We only paid $6 a person per night.  First, my belief that I am assured hot water with a heater attached was proven wrong. This one did not provide hot water.  I know it received electricity, because when I flipped the switch on the front, I could see the bluish-green spark glow from behind the plastic.  My guess was that the water pressure was too high, and it was rushing past the heating element faster than it could heat the water.  The temperature difference went from unbearably freezing to uncomfortably cold.

Second, I just saw that one of my neighbors has a smaller device attached to his kitchen sink.  So sink water heaters do exist.

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/535957_692933239320_1665927600_n.jpg

Just a comment or two... Suicide showers do give hot water but the flow does have to be lower than you might like for it to be really hot. And best to make it short.  Have heard of a few people that had "incidents", some fatal. Truth or fiction???  And the reason for their existence is that they are cheap and installation is also inexpensive. 
Many hotels have hot water heaters for their showers but then they don't always work. 
Good rentals have either gas fired or electric water heaters that do work and the time for the hot water to arrive is not longer than in the states or Europe.  And they continue to work for as long as you use them, allowing the luxury of long, long showers.
In retrospect, I wish I had not been introduced to suicide showers, ever.

the picture of a Lorenzetti shower head reminds me of home:o
I grew up on suicide showers but never heard of people getting killed, EVER! Have I ever got a zap of electricity, yes? all you need to do is turn of the shower with a dry towel.
Back in the day when I was growing up there used to be gas heated showers units in Brazil - THAT killed people. I understand they are much safer nowadays.
Is that what you refer to gas used for heated water? A unit attached or near the shower unit for water heating purposes?

i have one of thease in my house and it blew up the other day. so of corse i wend right out to get another one.. yes the install is a brease. i found that it comes with a plastic flow resister. this must be used. my presure was to high and blew the seals out of the unit allowing water to pass over the element. this is what caused it to basicly explode.. when i was under the shower. electrisity flows threw the path of least resistence. sence i was wet it just went threw the water to ground. i did get a little tingel feeling, but that was normal with the old unit. with the flow restrictor installed and wiring reworked (im a jurnyman plummer and electrition). i no longer have that tingeling feeling i use to think was normal and i have hot water.the water is so hot that now i can only turn it up half way. thease units are good for about 6 month to 1 year before thay die. but for the 12 to 30 dolors to buy its better than replumming the house with a hot water line. i will be in the future going to a gas unit but ill do that when i remodel the house next year.tell then ill keep liven on the edge.

True, they were all over in Brazil. I lived there! aaah beautiful memories came out when I found them here in Ecuador. My two favourite countries...see, there are no some many dangers in life as the TV shows. Taking on risks here and there is just fine. People is too spoiled to have hot non-stop running water even in mild temperatures. These suicide showers dont kill anyone, they are cheap and warm water just as needed while keepying your water bill low and the water reserves up for everybody.

Right on, Mugtech!

I am developing a theory that there is something I am calling "EcLove" which is the unreasonable love of Ecuador, to the point where you make excuses for every failing. It's like you visit your neighbor and his Newfoundland dog jumps up on you and knocks you senseless and the neighbor says, "Oh, he loves you!"  On this Forum, I keep reading Excuses: "Hey, what's a little electric shock along with your shower?"

Maybe we should spell Excuses, "Ec-scuses".

Dick,
I understand what you are saying. BUT, I think the majority of ExPats don't all want to sound like whiney babies, that expect everything to be as it was in their home countries. Re : The Ugly American.
But, my personal experience was, I never encountered these things on my travel to EC.
I'm going back to buy this Spring, and certainly that will be one of my priorities. I will buy a place that has centralized gas and hot water at all locations. Will I pay a bit more for that? Yup. I'm cool with it. As in all things in life, we can pay for a Pinto, and get what that money buys you, or... we can buy a Lincolin Continental, and get what that buys you.
As in all things, we have choices, and luckily, EC. offers you the choice of what you want... just a question of do we want to purchase it. Honestly, the majority of bathrooms I saw on my first visit when looking to buy...  were much better appointed than many up scale homes in the US.
Stay Well
Neil

Sure, Ecuador is not for everyone. Thank God is not "perfect" is just more naturally beautiful with imperfections and everything else :)

Neil and Everyone:

One challenge with email is you can't see the guy's face or hear his voice, so something that was said affectionately and jocularly can come across as, yup, whiney-baby.

I'm planning to relocate to Ecuador, so please know I wasn't putting down the country.  Just commenting on the number of posters who allowed their affection for Ecuador to override their judgement of possible electrocution via shower.

Dick,
Hope my reply was not construed as negitive... not meant that way at all. If it was seen that way, I apologize. And yes, I agree 100% that the writen word can be misunderstood without the "translation"  of facial expression.
When I made the whiney reference, it was solely to attempt to explain why I feel some don't want to seem to be complaining. (and didn't intend to insinuate you were )

Peace
Neil

There is always people ready to be judgmental and/or offended by anything and there are also plenty of people able to look at the glass half full. I believe here everybody posts with the best intentions at heart, otherwise there wouldnt be so much helpful info and selfless time commitment to share some knowledge with others. I dont think anybody here offended anybody, however it is awesome to see so much kindness from some posters. Kindness, love and the truth moves the world. I echo ZenSpike's apologies if I offended anyone in saying people got spoiled having non-stop running hot water in mild climates but hey...who can deny it, this place has so much to offer who would complain about an electric shower when there are other options? I truly enjoyed the sense of humor some have in this thread about such amusing topic. We can laugh at it of course, since they are harmless, I have never heard of anybody being electrocuted. I knew there was something powerful in the Ecuadorian's blood that makes them inmune to many health problems! maybe an occasional electrical shock did it? just smile folks, life is short :D

To Loving and Zen and to all:

We have 100% agreement!

I was not at all offended, not 1%; and I agree that the generosity of the post-ers on this forum is exemplary. (And by "this forum" I mean this ENTIRE forum, not just this topic.)

Hope to share an adult beverage with you in Beautiful Ecuador.

Dick

Dick,
I've been known to have a brew from time to time....
First ones on me.
See Ya There
Neil

We used these several times in hostels up and down the coast on our visit in March of this year.   My hubby did get a shock once, but since that time he wore his rubber soled pool slippers in the shower, which made it so the electric current would not go through him if it happened again.

I have lived in Paraguay for almost 25 years. The voltage here is 220v and I have been using the "suicide showers" for the 23 years during which I have had electricity. I have never felt so much as a tingle nor ever even heard of any problems from my neighbors. My ONLY complaint about them is that in Winter when both ambient air and water temperatures are lower, in order to get the water hot enough I must slow it down to a drizzle.

I have felt a slight tingle when using one before but never a shock.  Heres a great picture of one and our story.

http://atruetalltale.wordpress.com/2012 … ock-value/