Where to live in Cuenca

Bill and I will start looking for housing in Cuenca, Ecuador.  We will move October 1, 2013, so we have some time.  We want to rent in the city.  The amenities we would like in our neighborhood include:  access to public transit; cafes for breakfast; park for our dog; nearby farmer's market.  We are gay men, so we want to feel safe, of course, and comfortable walking down the street.  We don't need a "gay neighborhood," but that would be fine, too.  I don't think Cuenca has one, anyway.  No problem.  We are early risers and love eating breakfast out with Carly, our lhasa apso.  Cultural amenities, such as art galleries, clubs, theaters, and concert venues are important, but they don't have to be down the street, although that would be fine, too.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Hello drksmoen. :)

So as to make it more visible, your post has been moved to the Cuenca forum.

Hope you'll get some informations from other members.

Thank you,
Aurélie

The place for you guys is gonna be Centro de Cuenca. That is the area around the New Cathedral, right by Parque Cadldron. Everything you mention is with in walking distance. The tourist information building is right there, the tour busses take off from that area, restaurants everywhere, and the park itself is beautiful and bustling. You will meet people from all over the world there. Your pooch will be in 7th heaven, and, you are a short walk to the river, and the most beautiful flower market you'll ever see. Again, a bus on every corner, and a taxi every few feet!
Give it a look. I think you'll find everything you need right there.