Looking for a place to live (rent or purchase)

Hi to all, Frank and Laura here.  We are coming to visit in January and are interested in finding something where the climate is moderate (no heat or ac needed) where we can grow a garden.  Nearby fishing location a definite plus.  From what we have seen so far somewhere in a mountain area would be best. 

We are looking for some suggestions for places to look at, and we would like to sit down and have coffee with some new friends while we are there. 

Also we would like suggestions about where we should stay while looking around for a place.  I am thinking maybe a central location somewhere where a lot of buses run to different areas (a hub) may be the best kind of place.

Hello Frank and Laura.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll soon get some suggestions from other members.

The Housing in Panama section is at your disposal. Do not hesitate to post an advert there.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Frank & Laura. Do you mean you are coming in January to look at something to buy? Or you're coming in January and want to rent a place while you're here so you can look at properties to possibly purchase down the road?

We are a couple in our 40s who moved from Canada to the Gorgona/Coronado area back in August. But we recently visited Boquete. Have you looked into Boquete? Based on your criteria, it sounds like it would be your thing. It is GORGEOUS there. Mountains, lovely cool climate (around 70 year-round), lots of fishing and gardening. And lots of expats.

I can help you hook up with some people while you're here, depending what it is, exactly, you want. Just let me know if I can help!

Cheers.
Jacki.

Hi Jacki,

Thank you for responding to our post, we really appreciate it.  Our plan is to come in January and rent a place while we look for something to purchase down the road.  Boquete sounds just like the kind of place we would be interested in, we would love to meet fellow expats while there.  Would love it if you could introduce us around.  We'll let you know when we are coming!

Are you interested in hooking up with a local realtor? A friend of mine is an expert on Panama - his knowledge is invaluable.  If interested, leave me your email addy and I can hook you up. GOod luck!
Jacki.

Hi Frank and Laura.  My husband and I actually live in Boquete and we can attest to its charm.  We love it here and really love renting our home from a local.

The expats meet every Tuesday morning for the local Farmer's Market and then they have a social gathering and then a lecturer or two depending on the topics. 

There are also expats who live behind the shadows so to speak who do not participate in the expat functions.  You need to come and live among the locals here in Boquete in order to learn more about the area.

If you want a reliable and trustworthy realtor ours is a local who was educated in the US (so he speaks excellent English).  He knows this area incredibly well and can find you anything you want in your price range.  His name is Ulises.

You said you are coming in January?  That is summer here in Panama so it will be warm.  It will be cooler here in Boquete but warm and hot is still warm and hot.  They need AC in David for sure, we have no heat or AC here in Boquete however.  Bring light summer clothing, and your bathing suits!  We are only 45 minutes from the local beach's.

If you want more information please feel free to contact me. 

Best,

Florence