HELP - flic en flac OR Albion

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are moving to Mauritius in January.
We have been offered a house in Albion, but I have been reading that there are no shops for groceries.  I have also heard that is not a very safe place either.

So now we are considering flic en flac.

The issue is that we have never visited the island and don't know anything about either of the places.

I would really appreciate your help.

ccilia_LND wrote:

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are moving to Mauritius in January.
We have been offered a house in Albion, but I have been reading that there are no shops for groceries.  I have also heard that is not a very safe place either.

So now we are considering flic en flac.

The issue is that we have never visited the island and don't know anything about either of the places.

I would really appreciate your help.

Hi u may rely on me for more info, help, suggestions, guides, counselling etc.

Am a native mauritian.

Thanks kevinson,

so what would you recommend?
Flic en flac or Albion?

i will recommend Flic en Flac

Why ? and whats it about not being safe ?

In a website about Mauritius recommendations i read:

"As mentioned before Albion is a very quiet beach to visit but I have heard that it can get quiet dangerous. The area itself has a bad name so tourists should be vigilant"

Hi. Just thought I'd share my opinion. My boyfriend and I have both lived in Flic en Flac and in Albion - a little over a year in each place. Both places were lovely, but Albion was MUCH quieter than Flic en Flac. There is a small supermarket and small shops where you can buy the most necessary things, but we did most of our shopping in Winners in Bambous or Pick n Pay outside Flic en Flac. You need a car for that.

True to your comment, when we told others (especially locals) that we lived in Albion, they often asked if it was not very dangerous there... which we always denied.  Eventually we found out that the bad reputation comes from a very old story where some locals allegedly attacked a man that was incorrectly suspected of being a criminal. Even if this all happened many years ago, it seems that many locals still to this day connect Albion with something bad.

It is sad, because we found Albion to be beautiful and quiet and the people that lived there were friendly and always treated us well. Furthermore we were never hassled at the beach which can often happen in Flic.

On the other hand Flic en Flac is perfect if you want to go out and have a drink or meet people.

At the end of the day it's down to personal choice, but honestly… Albion is just as safe as any other Mauritian city or village!

Hope this help - drop me a line if you need any clarification :)

/Stinne.

Stinne,

Thank you so muchhh for your information. It was very helpuful!!

Hi,

I would also suggest Tamarin besides Flic and Flac.

Cheers
Terence

ALBION

Thanks Disha :)

Hi there,

I have been living in Albion for the past 3 years and I love it here. There is a great group of young professionals and an amazing sense of community.
There has been a lot of developement in Albion in the recent years and we have at least 3 different stores/supermarkets.
My husband and I are huge 'foodies' and we find everything we need right there in albion.
I prefer it to Flic en Flac because its more residential and less of a tourist area. It's quiet and social.

Any other info you need?

Thank you so much!