PIO Card application process

I believe that I have almost everything needed to apply for a PIO (Person of Indian Origin) Card (for which I qualify, based on my marriage). Anything that I do not have now (e.g., visa-sized photos) can be quickly and easily obtained. Within the next few days, I shall complete the straightforward application (which I downloaded and printed from http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/pioform.pdf).

While visiting Singapore, I asked a diplomat at the High Commission of India about the requirements and process. He told me that he could have helped me with the application if I had a Residency Visa in Singapore, and that I should get the PIO Card about three weeks after applying.

I would like to know if that is true in reality, in the reality called India, and specifically in the reality called Kolkata. Here, if somebody sneezes then a [i]bandh[i] is called, and if I forget to dot an "i" or cross a "t" then I have to do everything over again, in triplicate.

I would like to know how long it took you to get a PIO Card, especially if you got it from Kolkata.

[Moderated: Please post in Jobs section or communicate by PM]