Valenician pharmacies out of medicine?

Hello all,

I am looking for some validation on this issue. I read a blog on another site; it spoke about the current difficult economic problems in Valencia. But to my surprise it said that Valencia pharmacies are running out of medicines? Apparently the gvt. Owes to much money and are heading towards a cash only arraignment.

Es Verdad?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19682049

I find the article confusing. If I was paying in cash, could I buy my medicine somewhere OR are there no medications stocked anywhere ??? They are 2 completely different stories.

As I type my husbands employeer are obtaining work visas for him for this transfer to their Spain office. But..my son is asthmatic and I am on a few meds myself. I'm concerned.

I look forward to your responses.

BOSTON MAMA wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19682049

I find the article confusing. If I was paying in cash, could I buy my medicine somewhere OR are there no medications stocked anywhere ??? They are 2 completely different stories.

As I type my husbands employeer are obtaining work visas for him for this transfer to their Spain office. But..my son is asthmatic and I am on a few meds myself. I'm concerned.

I look forward to your responses.

Hello,

We have been living here in Valencia for almost six months and have not had any problems with getting medications.  We have a local Farmacia we go to all the time and the manager has assured us that as long as we have the money to buy our own medications, there will be no problem.  There are a lot of cut backs with free medical care because of the economy, so this would also impact medications for those who are unemployed. 

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much. This does indeed help

I also saw this elsewhere (on the facebook feed of InVLC Magazine), and tore it apart there. So I'm going to tear this article apart here, too. This guy, Paul Mason, was clearly out to do a hatchet-job, and was very biased, arguably deceitful in how he presented his facts.

Clue #1, the America's Cup is not in Valencia, not because of the economic crisis, but because it was only ever temporarily going to be here, by the mechanics of how it rotates according to the winner. (The years it was here I believe a Swiss team won, and they had no national waters to host it and thus chose Valencia.) Yet here the author heaps it onto the pile of muck he wants to rake...

And Clue #2 on the pharmacy issue... the photo at the top of the article showing the protest on pharmacies is from a protest that happened last December 2011 (more than nine months ago!):

http://farmacialanucia.blogspot.com.es/ … ticos.html

No mention of that in his article. Why? Because the local government problem with the pharmacies, the back-payment standoff, more or less ended this past May, and, contrary to Mason's story, is not really an issue right now. (This is not to say there aren't concerns about the government's ability to pay, but that it isn't centered on the pharmacies, per se.) Yet, reading his article you would think this is a current issue, and not one many months on the back-burner.

I'm tired of the British or American news writing sour grapes about Spain's economy. The slant is obnoxious... while there are no outright lies here, there are numerous half-truths.

So true in respects to the half-truths. The American news would like us to beleive that the Spainish economic issue is really not as terrible as Ireland or Greece and that the Spainish goverment is really on the job of getting the problem resolved with minimal impact on the people. then I turn on FOX news US and its all misery and looks like scene of Oliver Twist's England .

Its just another reason why these forums are so needed. To get the real story from people who are actually living there.

Thank you

i have never had any problems finding medicines, its true that they might be runnig out of some brands but they always have "genetic one" (no brand ones).

Im also asmatic and there is no problem! I have family with epipepsia (very expensive pills) and its ok!

We have to pay a percentage of the price of the medication because of the crisis, but as far as i know in a lot of waelthier countries its like that too. The money to be paid also depend on your incomes. At least for the european citizens!