Hi everyone

I'm retired and live in Florida USA.  I've been to Vietnam before an fell in love with the people and culture.

For those that have relocated to Nah Trang (or any other places in Vietnam), did you find adapating difficult.  To me, I look at it as an adventure and fun.  Surely, there will be some adapting -- don't kidding myself, but just how difficult did you find it (if at all).

Is the cost of living as low as I read that it is?  How large are the apartments (stupid question, I quess), I know they vary, but are the comparable to 800-1000 sf?  probably smaller?   

Is it possible to find a small/medium house?

A friend will come with me who is also retired, we will need at least two bedrooms?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We're planning on coming over next March to scout out the area and if we like it then start making definite plans for accommodations to move the 1st of September (2013).

Any real estate agent or agency that anyone would recommend?

Is this blog the best site for finding networking names of other expatriates in Nah Trang?

Thanks everyone.  Phil

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Phil!

Maybe you could try posting an advert in the Nha Trang housing section.
It might help!

Regards
Armand

Hi Phil,

Welcome to the site,

Yes it is quite cheap to live here, although I have noticed prices increasing quite a bit in the 3 years I have been here. Inflation is very high in Vietnam. That being said, the prices are still more than manageable.

There are quite a lot of apartments being built around the area with expats specifically in mind. They tend to be quite well made and with mod cons that you would expect. In general, they tend to be more expensive than a house. Most apartments ranging from 60-80m2 are priced at approximately 8-12 million VND per month.

Houses are usually cheaper in that they are bigger. For example, I live in a 3 storey, 3 bedroom house that works out at 7 million per month excluding bills. It's really up to personal preference, I prefer a house, while others would like an apartment. There are plenty of both to choose from.

In terms of finding one, I answered that in your other post. There are some agencies and I have recommended one for you.

Also, as you live here you will no doubt find out info on the grapevine and there is always someone who knows someone renting a place, so you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding what you need.

Hope this helps

C