The absolute minimum in dollars to live in DR :)

I would get residency as soon as I could. I would be moving to Puerto Plata because a friend of mine lives there. My insurance agent said my insurance is accepted there. He even gave me a list of providers in PP. I'll keep reading this forum for more information. Thank you so much for your replies.

I  would double check on the insurance,  might be you pay and get reimbursed,  but at least that would work.

You need to start the residency process from there honey,  check this thread:

Yes you need to start the process in the US at a Dominican Embassy or Consulate. The closest for you is probably Chicago

Bob K

Bob, yeah, it doesn't make sense to import a car without residencia.  By the way, I'm still waiting for you to find that peanut sauce recipe you promised.  I know that with your very busy schedule it is difficult for you to find the time.   Thanks, The "Tinker".

I have looked but cannot find it again.  Sorry. I think I Googled it on the Food network site.

Bob K

Yeah Bob, too bad. When you said you found it  & made it from a magazine, I didn't realize that you had Googled it.  If desired, I'll send you my recipe for it. Get rest, you sound tired.  If you don't need fancy , it is possible to find an apt. for $200,  utilities & tv,net & cell for another hundred.  Not the best or upscale at all, but the roof doesn't leak.  Yes, you can live for less than $1,000 a month.It all depends on what is most important to you..

So true. Depending on life style, expectations, wants and needs $800 to $4000 a month will work

Bob K

AND it very much depends on WHERE  you want to live.   Area is critical to pricing.  Tourist plus expat =  more expensive.

If you want to live like a Dominican, you have to consider three factors:

1-Minimum wage in the country. For Dominicans it is $80 dollars a month.
2-Average wage in the country. What the average worker makes: 160 dollars a month.
3-What a high-end professional makes (doctor): $700

So if you are getting $900 a month, and you are willing to live like a Dominican, you will be living better than a Dominican doctor. And making almost 6 times more than the average Dominican worker.

But remember, we started with the premise that YOU ARE WILLING to live like a Dominican. No spoiled gringo habits.

Lo que quiere decir que tienes que empezar por hablar en español.

Timnior  welcome to the forum.  I think some of your numbers are a bit low currently. 

Do you live here?

Why not introduce yourself

Bob K

Welcome and I agree with Bob, some of your numbers are out of date. 

Please go to the New Members thread and introduce yourself!

Questions and answers about the Dominican Republic

Ask your question
Are you happy in Dominican Republic?
By Priscilla
Temporary Resdidencia - first steps!
By planner
Road from Ciabo Airport to Las Terrenas
By Travelove
Healthcare in Dominican Republic
By Julien

Expatriate health insurance in Dominican Republic

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Dominican Republic

Moving to the Dominican Republic

Find tips from professionals about moving to the Dominican Republic

Travel insurance in Dominican Republic

Enjoy a stress-free travel across the Dominican Republic

Flights to the Dominican Republic

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to the Dominican Republic