The absolute minimum in dollars to live in DR :)

can you suggest other areas that I can live comfortably with $1500.00 per month. in the higher elevation is fine. cold is fine!

Well you can  go to Cabrera,  Puerto Plata, Luperon,  Santiago, Jarabacoa, south west area,  La Romana.....that is just a start.

And a good start.  You can add Samana  to it as well as long as you are not in the tourist areas.

Bob k

Remember also you need to be near a good private school for the kids.

Bob k

Well that adds another dimension, where did that info come from Bob?   There are good schools but you cannot live on  1500 if you include any private schools!  So we need more details!

There is separate income for the kids but they still will need a school to go to.

Bob K

Hi everyone, I'm planning on buying myself a cute little convertible before I move to the D.R.. any suggestions on whether  I should buy from the U.S. and have it shipped ?  Or should I just wait until I get to the D.R. ? Also... how are the car insurance costs there ?

Lucky we are happy to help you,  would you open your own thread for this - I can ask the moderators to do it for you if needed.

The topic here is living costs. Thanks!

I will wait to answer till there is a new thread so not to muddy up this one.

Bob K

I see that most if not all replyes on the cost of living come from those more fortunate with their incomes. It would seem to me that their criteria might be a bit different as to what constitutes a comfortable life than of those with a lessor income.  How about hearing from some of those "po"  Folks"?   I would guess that their numbers are greater than suspected by the lack of answers from them.  Oh, by the way Bob, can I have the recipe for the peanut sauce you made for your rack of lamb?  It sounds like it could be delicious?   Thanks, PM it if you wish,  wouldn't want the plebian amongst us to pirate it.

gypsy - I can live on  US 750 very comfortably.  In fact I have lived on much less. My first year here (in Puerto Plata) I live on what I made at that time -  US 300 a month! Now that was an adventure.  But well worth it.

Hi planner, i thought i did start new thread. Can you show me how please

Thanks Planner.  I know it can be done, I did it for over 8 years.  Lets hear from some others.

Peanut sauce came from food and wine mag.  Don't have it on hand right now, but it was kick ass good.

Bob K

I hear a few people talk about Punta Cana being expensive. Can you give me an idea of what is expensive please ? Do they mean housing and utilities  or food and clothing.  Activities  ?

First Punta Cana - everything is more expensive. Buying or renting a place - more expensive.  Food, restaurants etc more expensive. Taxis - more expensive.  Things to do - mostly more expensive.  It is a 5 star resort area and priced accordingly.

Starting a new thread go to:https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=234

Use the Green Button:  Post New Thread and you will get it started......  just follow the steps honey! And thanks!

luckygrandmagk wrote:

I hear a few people talk about Punta Cana being expensive. Can you give me an idea of what is expensive please ? Do they mean housing and utilities  or food and clothing.  Activities  ?

The answer for all the above is YES it s more expensive in PC

Bob K

Anyone on this forum live there or have lived there at any point ? I would appreciate a comparison.  For instance.  Cable is almost 300. That's including a bunch of sports channels. Ele. Is 280., oil is 240.. Water is very cheap.
Anything  ? Thanks

I live in La Romana,  not far away.   I have friends who live in PUnta Cana and their electricity per KWH is twice what mine is. THey use a private electricity company.  My cable company does not operate there so no comparison. I go for lunch in PUnta cana and while I love the choices of restaurants they are twice as expensive as La Romana minimum.

My house is  5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms and I pay 20,000RD, about  US 450.  IF you found that in Punta Cana it would cost a minimum of 2,000 US per month to rent. A big bottle of water (that can sit on a water cooler)  Is 40RD here. IN Punta Cana we paid 60 RD at the local colmado/ corner store.

Hope that helps you.

It actually does help. Thank you

We have lived on the north coast (Sosua/Cabarete) for the last 9+ years.  And yes it is a bit more expensive here then in some of the local towns but we do our shopping in the local stores and in some of the other towns as well.

Internet cable for us runs $94 a month but we do have a high speed, reliability and good down load capabilities.

Water for us is still 35 pesos per 5 gallon bottle

Oil if you are talking about gas, propane, or LP that is all set by the government and adjusts every Friday. The price is the same no matter where you are in the country.

Bob K

Does that adjustment on friday fluctuate by a lot or were just talking cents ?

Friday's prices can vary from 1-4  pesos at a time.

Bob K

Good point Bob,  that is important.

Thank you

What about with 1850 a month in a desent place

Rdume welcome to the forum.

Why not tell us a bit about yourself.  Where are you from?  What do you do?  Where are you looking to live in the DR?  Have you been here before?

As to your specific question it depends on:

Where you plan on living
Does that amount include rent or will you be buying a property
How many people
Any kids
Lifestyle
and other factors

Bob K

This is my personal budget so far. I do need to secure some medical insurance for here in the DR and will talk to planner after Dec of 2015. This is for 4 people.

Rent. 70.00 us
Food 4 people 140.00 us
Electric 27.00 us
Gas 8.00
Tv 25.00
Internet 17.00
Water/Sewer 10.00
Drink water 6.00
Transportation 60.00
Phone 1 - cell. 23.00
Car rent 5 days per month for trip to PP 120.00
Propane 25.00
Pizza 25.00
Jumbo shopping 50.00
Clothes 130.00
Personal 80.00
Beers 15.00
Hair 20.00
Monthly home appliance fund 40.00
    "              "       improvement.   50.00
Air fare 150.00
Total cost 1010.00
I live in a barrio with my future wife. The house is block with zinc roof. Have a small splash pool for hot days (30'"s x 12 '.)  with filter. Have 4 good sized fans, fridge, stove, micro, flat screen, nice table and chairs, and new luvered Windows(no glass). I have new iron works over windows, gate, doors, and entryway. For the barrio it is a nice place. We have a 35x35 concrete coutyard with mangu and orange trees.
It's not a dream home, however it gives me liberty finacialy with the income í make in the states Driving school bus. I live in the states and here all year around including 3 round trips a year for 1900.00 per month.
I also have a small sheet metal business stateside. After Dec then the process of bringing them stateside. The dynamic will change for sure stateside. Maybe not so much though, we live quite simple. In 2020 my SS kicks in and we (could)  live comfortable on 1200.00 in the DR. I would be 62 at that point. Sighhh...things change...í know..so just sharing my personal situation right now. The monthly budget is when í am in the DR. When stateside my expences are 900.00 Monthly and 400.00 for the DR houshold. I like how Bob always says, read plan, read , plan.

This is my personal budget so far. I do need to secure some medical insurance for here in the DR and will talk to planner after Dec of 2015. This is for 4 people.

Rent. 70.00 us
Food 4 people 140.00 us
Electric 27.00 us
Gas 8.00
Tv 25.00
Internet 17.00
Water/Sewer 10.00
Drink water 6.00
Transportation 60.00
Phone 1 - cell. 23.00
Car rent 5 days per month for trip to PP 120.00
Propane 25.00
Pizza 25.00
Jumbo shopping 50.00
Clothes 130.00
Personal 80.00
Beers 15.00
Hair 20.00
Monthly home appliance fund 40.00
    "              "       improvement.   50.00
Air fare 150.00
Total cost 1010.00
I live in a barrio with my future wife. The house is block with zinc roof. Have a small splash pool for hot days (30'"s x 12 '.)  with filter. Have 4 good sized fans, fridge, stove, micro, flat screen, nice table and chairs, and new luvered Windows(no glass). I have new iron works over windows, gate, doors, and entryway. For the barrio it is a nice place. We have a 35x35 concrete coutyard with mangu and orange trees.
It's not a dream home, however it gives me liberty finacialy with the income í make in the states Driving school bus. I live in the states and here all year around including 3 round trips a year for 1900.00 per month.
I also have a small sheet metal business stateside. After Dec then the process of bringing them stateside. The dynamic will change for sure stateside. Maybe not so much though, we live quite simple. In 2020 my SS kicks in and we (could)  live comfortable on 1200.00 in the DR. I would be 62 at that point. Sighhh...things change...í know..so just sharing my personal situation right now. The monthly budget is when í am in the DR. When stateside my expences are 900.00 Monthly and 400.00 for the DR houshold. I like how Bob always says, read plan, read , plan. In my thread "It's a Wonderful Life" í am giving more deatail to how I live. Please follow.

I don't want to knock you "planner" but you are an "observer" in Punta Cana and not a resident is that correct?  I am a resident in Punta Cana.  I pay 30 pesos for my 5 gallon bottle of water and that's because it went up from 20 pesos last year.  The supply is within walking distance or delivery for an extra 10 pesos.  The electricity in Punta Cana "Village" is private but outside of the "village" CEPM is the provider.  The cost is higher because we have electricity 99.5% of the time, hence more consumption.  My average electricity bill for a 2 bedroom apartment and 3 people that are in the home most of the time is around 2000 pesos average per month.  If you want to run the AC all day, that's a different story.  The prices you are quoting for rent is not an average price but is based on a specific location, Punta Cana Village.  I don't think it's a fair comparison to La Romana unless you want to talk Playa Nueva Bahia Principe.  Then you will see the quality is similar and the prices comparable.  Restaurant prices are also difficult to compare as you are also paying for the setting, however, my wife and I enjoy dinner in the Village 2-3 times per week for example tacos, burritos, or fajitas for 2 people and at least 2 margarita's each (1/2 price 5-8PM) and it's usually around 1200 pesos all included.  The restaurants in the village sway towards international people and tourists and the prices are higher because of the culture. Keep in mind , the Village is close to the airport.  If you want cheap you go to a Dominicana restaurant outside of the village and have a plato del dia for 149 pesos.  Just trying to keep an objective perspective for new comers.

Best of luck in your Dominican experience.

DominicanadaMike  I agree with a lot of what you are saying as to prices. Even living in "tourist" areas (as we do in the Sosua/Cabarete area) if you stay clear of the "tourist" resraurants, eat local products, shop where the locals shop you can live for a lot less.  Just on food alone we figure we spend about 40% less here than in the US and as to going out to dinner about 50% less or more.

In fact went to dinner last night and had two drinks, two appys, to entrees (fish and roast pork loin) with taxes and tip cost was 1200RD.  Try doing that in the states.

Your water is very cheap, I thought we were doing good at 35 pesos a bottle. :D

Bob K

Thanks Bob, yes the water is cheap and very good quality.  Also small bottles, ice all cheap.  The people are friendly, the place is clean.  Learning how to live here is part of the fun.  We live much cheaper here than in Canada and I am surviving on $1500 per month quite well with  owning and maintaining 2 higher end apartments and in the process of buying a 5000 sq ft. home.  Try doing that on 1500 a month in Canada or the US!  Here it's all about the locals, fortunately I am learning very quickly as  I have the "perfect" Dominican wife...:)

Sounds like you are doing it right!

Bob K

Mike I am not suggesting I know everything about Punta Cana - not at all. I can only share what I know.  So your water -  wow. I just reread and saw the size.   I don't know anywhere you can get those big blue bottles that cheap. That is a great price. 

By the way that price for the plata del dia is not cheap.  That is expensive.  You do have some fabulous restaurants in the area! I will often make a day trip to the area just to go for lunch or dinner! 

And what is CEPM?  The only public suppliers I know are Ede - Norte, Este and Sur.   When I compare electricity costs I go by the price per KWH  not based on usage.  Private  companies are much more expensive BUT they are 24 hours and that is worth something!   I wish we had that option here in La Romana!  We don't unfortunately.

I've said this before and it bears repeating -  helping people find THEIR place is all about what is important to them within their budgets. All we can do is feed them info and they will try things out. At least I hope they try them out.  Buying and moving right away is a big mistake.  Rent and check things out for a period of time, then buy once you know you love the area and like your life here.

I'm new to this forum. My wife and I are trying to visit this year in anticipation of moving to Puerto Plata next year. We have 2 kids and will be homeschooling. We will have $3300/month US and free health insurance. We will need internet and would like air conditioned bedrooms, if possible. I would like a 4 bedroom house with a pool to rent and possibly buy a similar house later. I would be bringing a vehicle I've owned for a year. How would I do with this income?

MarionPD welcome to the forum.  There are lots of good folks here with lots of information and ideas for you.  You need to  read the multiple threads on this forum and come back and ask you questions.

As to your budget you should do fine with the amount you plan on having. 

Have you been here before?  Before settling on a house to rent you need to spend some time exploring your options.
And you are doing it correctly by planning on renting before buying anything.

Have a great day and welcome.

Bob K

I need to add that bringing in a car especially with out your residency is a pain in the ass and will be very very expensive.  You will be better off buying here.

Bob K

Welcome to the forums.  I agree with Bob your budget is fine.  Take a look at your health insurance to make sure it will function here.

And Bob is right again (Damn it happens a lot)   unless you file for residencia bringing in a vehicle will be hard and expensive.  Rethink that part of your plans.

Please read and read and read,  we will be happy to answer any questions you have!

Planner I am going to save this for future use... "And Bob is right again (Damn it happens a lot) "

Have a great day.  We actually got a 5 min rain shower at midnight...yea!

Bob K

Hahaha you do that Bob.......   My day is way better today then it was yesterday!