Want to move to Morocco from California! Help!

Hi, I am an insurance executive working for a large company and am done with the hamster cage lifestyle. I would like to move to Morocco. I don't even know where to start... I recently came back from a wonderful trip visiting Casablanca, Fes, Erfoud, Marrakech and Rabat. Would like to settle in the north coast around Casablanca, Rabat or Asilah.

I am thinking my first step is to find a job. Secondly, get to know some ex-pats that could help me get around a little. Third, I need to pick up some Arabic.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Hey
I am Moroccan-British living in Agadir
Movin to Morocco isn't that hard you just need to find the right job and the right place to live
Casablanca is very hectic Its definitely not the place for me to live ( being stuck in traffic for hours is the last thing I need in morocco;)
If you have some savings you might start by coming and try to live here for 2-3 months to make up you mind, you can look for a job at the same time.
Agadir is a lovely place to live its nice and sunny and life is stress free!
If you need help contact me .
Tc
Kat

Hello boruka.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Concerning the work, do not hesitate to post an advert in the Jobs in Morocco section. It can be useful.

Good luck,
Aurélie

hello . Sara has explained the situation clearly .
it's hard to find a job in morocco but, it 's not impossible
most of expatriate work in casa and rebat . and i think there is a lady provide help to find a job in casa in a multinational company u can email her . check this topic :
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=142488
i can say also agadir is a really beautiful city for living . i like it lol

take care and goood luck

Hello,
I am an Expat living in Marrakech. It would be a pleasure to meet you if you do choose to come here to Morocco.

Learning Arabic is a good thing, but you will find learning French to be more beneficial. Most people will see that you are a Westerner and they will automatically assume you understand them when they speak French to you.

Finding work is very difficult here. If you have a University degree and can teach, you may find it a bit easier. The hospitality and Travel industry are always looking for people who speak multiple languages too. If you are interested in starting your own business, although it is risky, this may be your best option.

If you register with the American Consulate General in Casablanca, they will put you on their email list and you can find out about various events concerning Americans living here. Several times a year they hold special social events around American holidays. This is always a good start at meeting Expats. Once you make the move, you may be interested in joining a local International Women's Association in the city of your choice. You can get the Websites for several of these on line. I hava also met some great people on this site simply by paying attention to social events being announced. 

Good luck in you plans.

Hello!

I am from California as well, near Stockton :)

I moved to Casablanca a month ago to teach English. I used to live in Rabat, a city that I love very much...Casablanca is a whole other world. It's a great experience to live here and where many of the job opportunities are but I would recommend living in Marrakesh or Rabat if you find a job there.

Feel free to contact me and if you end up moving here I would be happy to meet you. Always nice to have contact with other Americans abroad, especially a fellow Californian!

Emma

Hello ;:!
Concerning your aim to find a job in Morroco, I ll recommend  you to check the  Morrcan website , bikhir.ma
and the north area would  be so much recommended, I would  be blessed   helpong you learn Arabic since   I used  to teach it officially.
best wishes

Hi there,

I really feel happy when no Moroccan people like Morocco. You are so welcome here.

If you have any qeustion or need any help, I will be happy to help you.

Kind regards
Brahim Babbaia

Brahimtamounte,

I am happy you have offered your welcome to those of us from other lands. You are a proof of point.

I think there are many Moroccans who love being in Morocco. But we all must remember this is an Expat site. Even though this topic is about moving to Morocco, you need to expect that most Moroccans who are looking at it are considering to leave here at some point in the future or have already left to better their lives elsewhere. Their pragmatic insight is important. Everyone has their own reasons for becoming an expat and for making entries on this site. 

The entry points I have seen other Moroccans make about having a hard time about finding work are very valid, and this fact is often disillusioning to those struggling to make ends meet in their daily life anywhere in the world. They need to be aware that they need to expect some difficulty.

Morocco is a 3rd world country, so unemployment is always high even among the educated. Health care is not as good as it is in the 1st or 2nd world, and of course the infrastructure-political-justice systems all need serious improvements. These kinds of things cannot be ignored by those wishing to move here. If you are planning to move here, a person needs to plan around each of those things accordingly.

It is better for people to be aware of reality before they move. Why expect them to just look at the face of Morocco shown in the destination brochures at the travel agency. Uninformed people make poor life decisions, and we want everyone to be successful. Successful people living here (no matter where they come from) strengthen Morocco. Don't be concerned or annoyed that someone mentioned something about Morocco that is not flattering. It just adds to the charm.

But all those things aside, Morocco is a fabulous place to live or visit, and Moroccans are the most incredibly welcoming people. I hope it is clear I love Morocco. I am glad if you do too.

Hello how are you, did you move to Morocco? I am Valerie follow American looking to move to  Morocco? How are things going with and for you? Please let me know how you are doing?

Best wishes, Valerie

Hello everyone (:
Actually, I am a new member, that's why I've only seen that post lately. If you are still looking for a job, I think I can pretty much of help, especially if you are in Rabat (: Contact me if you are interested.

u welcome valerie , u can contact with me just send me ur contact  in box

Hey (:
I was thinking about to create a group on whatsapp for expats and locals so you won't find yourself alone, if you would like to join just let me know. I didn't create it yet though

This is a great idea Hanioh

Please hand me your numbers, I will create it asap (:

I couldn't find you on whatsapp. Please contact me. Here is my number phone for whatsapp ***

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct