Planning to go to Santiago for the first time with my wife.

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum. I will like to visit Santiago de los Caballeros and hopefully move there within 4 years when I retire en the US. Also looking to make friends with a english speaking christian church over there.
My second interest is to know how much money is requiered to bring from SS to recieve permanent residency? Like $600us,$1,000us a month?
Thanks.

Larry

Hi Larry,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

All the best,
Christine

Hello, Im new to the Forum. I plan on visiting the D.R next month January 2013. I have been involved with this chica for two years and finally going to visit her. She lives in Santiago De Los Cabballeros. She tells me her rent there is around 9,0000 peso's a month. She only makes 4,000 pesos a month at Plaza Internacional. She had to move her brother and sister in law in to pay the bills (because I dont send or give money!!). From what she tells me you can live comfortable on $1,000.00 USD

See you other post on where to get information. You will be able to live a Dominian lifestyle (not one you are used to at all) for $1000 a month.  Don't plan on Air conditioning, going out, owning a car, paying for insurance, buying anything but local foods, having any kind of health insurance, etc, etc,

You should come an explore some before getting involved with a local chica

Bob K

We just moved here in October, an early retirement at age 60 for my husband and I am working as a teacher at the International School in Sosua.  We had visited the DR 11times before deciding on a certain area of the DR and we spent alot of time in different areas living off a resort amoungst the dominican people.  We live is a studio in Playa Chiquita Sosua.  The studio is large by standards here...800sq ft.  No air conditioning only ceiling fan.  We bought our own furniture from IKEA which is in Santiago and Santo Domingo and had it delivered (at no charge) to the studio.  We decorated for around 2000 US. The studio is in a private villa/apartment of 10 in total. We have a pool, laundy room and our own patio.  THe studio came with a TV, cable, refrig and stove along with dishes.The only thing we pay extra for is electricity..about 15 dollars a month.  We use the fan 24/7 and watch TV. Cable and internet are included and we pay 300US a month.  The landlord is very nice and visits often. We have gated property and gated doors and windows.  We bought a 150cc scooter to get around and it is great.  Our best advice is to really check out the country...life is not the same as anywhere in the US!  It will cost you alot to eat out all the time and grocery shopping bill is ok if you buy local dominican brands not the US brands.  We have had no problem adjusting however we knew exactly what we were getting into and chose this particular lifestyle.  Please feel free to message if you have questions.  Glad to help out if we can....and hope you know at least some Spanish!

Larry if your question regarding SS is income related - I believe you need US 1,500 per month of pension or retirement income to qualify for that type of residencia. I do not have the exact figure for couples,  I recall 2,000 US per couple but don't quote me on that.