Citizenship Processing Times -- Form K

Hi All --

I applied for citizenship on Form K in May 2012 at the Maltese Embassy.  My papers were sent to Malta in July.  I'm wondering if anyone has some insight into processing times; what I've heard from embassy and consulate staff varies from "six months" to "a year and a half." 

I'm currently considering relocation to the EU, so I'm hoping to get a more firm idea of timing.  If anyone knows the current situation, please let me know.  Thanks!

Hi rg4784 and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.

Thanks, Harmonie!  I know I'm in an extremely small group of people (applying for citizenship in a country of 400,000) and this board is just a great resource.  If other folks are in the same boat as me, I'm happy to share whatever I learn.

Hi rg,

welcome to the forum.

As you say you are probably one of a very small group -))) I can only guess that knowing Malta it might be on the longer end but who knows !

Maybe someone else on the board has personal experience .

Cheers
Ricky

Hi rg4784

May I ask on what basis are you applying for citizenship since you don't even seem to be in Malta yet? Are you of Maltese descent or married to a Maltese national?

Myrkur wrote:

Hi rg4784

May I ask on what basis are you applying for citizenship since you don't even seem to be in Malta yet? Are you of Maltese descent or married to a Maltese national?

Hi Myrkur,

I am applying for citizenship by ancestry under the 2007 law.  I am ethnically Maltese and I have documents to prove that.  That's really all you need -- the embassy looks over your materials in the first instance and forwards everything to Malta for you.

Oh I see! I was just wondering as in some cases people apply for citizenship without any "basis" so to speak (or not enough of one) and in this case their applications are just being postponed indefinitely all the time.

I think each situation is really different, I know people who got it after a couple of months while others took a bit longer. If anything just keep chasing and bothering them, not as if they can refuse it in the end anyway! :)

rg4784 wrote:

I am ethnically Maltese and I have documents to prove that.

Do you mean you have people in your family tree who are/were Maltese ?

georgeingozo wrote:
rg4784 wrote:

I am ethnically Maltese and I have documents to prove that.

Do you mean you have people in your family tree who are/were Maltese ?

Yeah.  I have documents showing that I have an ancestor born in Malta of a parent who was also born in Malta; that's the standard.  Also I have a typically Maltese last name, so I'm sure that helps a little.

I am from New York but have Maltese parents. I applied for dual citizenship in May of 2009 and got a letter certifying that I was a Maltese citizen in December of that year. It takes a long time. When I got the letter, I was confused because it was written in so much legal jargon that I had to call the Maltese Consulate in New York to translate it for me. It just seemed like a normal letter that was easy to copy and forge. I was expecting some type of card that proved  I a was a citizen but the letter was all I got. However, if you want to travel while in Malta you eventually have to get a Maltese passport which I am currently in the proccess of getting all the paperwork for right now.  I was told that once I submit the paperwork, it should take six weeks to get the passport.

Hi -- I just want to follow up on this, as I still have not heard back from Malta.  Is there anyone else with a recent citizenship application who can tell me how long things are taking?  Thanks!

Hi rg4784,

I would get back to the Maltese embassy as they are the intermediates in the process !

The Maltese side is certainly overwhelmed at the moment by the amount of work with the new residence cards.

Cheers
Ricky

Well, when I've asked the embassy, they've told me that they're signed off and all that's left is for Malta to review the application.  They say that they don't have any more information.  I've tried calling DCEA and they don't pick up the phone; they're also not really responsive to emails.

I decided to activate my citizenship as Maltese born but having left the country as an infant.  The processing time was about 5 months but my passport was done and returned within a week once I received the letter.

It was a bit frustrating as when I tried to call nobody had any information but it did get done.

Good luck.