Hi everyone ! I need advice on extending my fiancee's visa in Izmir

My fiancee is spanish, and im a turk living in izmir, currently with me. She came to turkey on a tourist 3 month visa.

We are trying to marry, but as you know, marrying is not something you can do in a jiffy. So we need more time for preparations or other stuff. Therefore there is a need to extend her visa in any way possible. So i have come here for advice. What i know is ;

we can extend her visa by getting a tourist residence permit which requires $500/month worth of bank account statement or foreign exchange slip for each month, and my notarized commitment saying that she's going to stay with me. or do the same for long term residence permit,just by showing more money.

i have researched a lot and phoned a lot of places but there are some little details i wasnt able to confirm yet. if you can clarify these for me, i'll be glad :

- what kind of foreign exchange slip do we need ? do we need slips for buying foreign exchange, or selling foreign exchange ? or either is ok ?

- her visa is expiring in a month. if the proceedings for visa application takes longer, or they give us a later rendezvous date for application, will that be a problem ?

- how long does it take for applications to be processed in general, and what's your opinion about police's foreign bureau in konak ?

other than these, of course i'd appreciate any advice you may be willing to impart.

thanks.

Hi unity100 and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that other members will soon share their experience with you.;)

In the meantime, I invite you to browse through the different threads of the forum, it may help.

Harmonie.

hi did you find the answers im looking to extend my visa aswell what do i have to do?

joanne kavanagh wrote:

hi did you find the answers im looking to extend my visa aswell what do i have to do?

you need to show $300-400 for each month you want to stay in izmir, and show an address. (hotel, or a place where you are staying at).

you may do a foreign exchange transaction (bank or exchange office) and bring the receipt to the foreign police.

hi unity100

* you can go to any money changer (döviz) and ask for a change receipt worth USD3000/- in return of commission which will be equal to the difference of buying and selling. For example if the difference between buying and selling is 0,02 then the commission will be TL60/- ( 1,92-1,90*3000)

* you need to apply in emniyet mudurluğu yabanci şubesi for residence permit and visa application date will start then. There is no problem if the visa expires during this period. Due to work load it may get late in geting an early appointment.

* It can take a few days or it can be few weeks, depending on the number of applications the department is dealing with.

good luck with the tedious procedure :)