Looking to move to Sweden.

Hi all.
Me and my partner have recently decided that we have to make a change in our lives, from barely surviving in South africa. She is a Dutch national so it is easy for her to pick up and leave, I have only been running into walls trying to see how to go about the whole working in sweden situation. I am lost and need help. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello there,

Finding work in Sweden can be VERY difficult unless you are a fluent Swedish speaker, or you already work for a company which has an office here and is happy for you to speak your mother tongue.

Thank you for the reply, I need help not the negative side. I know its not going to be easy, but I am willing to persist and I know that I will succeed eventually.

[Moderated: Off topic]

As she is an EU citizen, it's easy for her, she just has to move here.  As she is not Swedish, that makes moving here more difficult for you.  The best thing to do is go to the Sweden.se website, they have links to the Migrationverket (Migration Board) and they have all the forms that you need to fill out.  As my partner is Swedish, it was actually quite easy for me, I filled out the forms, took them to the consulate in San Francisco, paid them $250, they interviewed me and my partner 3 months later and received my residency and work permit a month later.  Go to the embassy or consulate closest to you and speak to them, they're very helpful.  I think the big thing for you is proving you won't be a financial burden to Swedish taxpayers, also if you have a criminal record they'd be less apt to accepting you.

Thanks for the tip scottabgekurtz I have been to the site And am planning to go to the embassy, thanks again.