MOVING TO MIAMI -ADVICE PLEASE

Hi I'm new here, was hoping to get a little advice on moving to Miami.

I am British and my wife is Spanish. We have been living in Singapore for 3 years now and are looking to move to miami.
I am an architect and have secured a good paying job. Just now need to decide if we want to move there.

I have read a lot of comments on the internet about Miami, some good some bad points. I know a lot of people speak Spanish, which isnt a problem, as my wife and I speak Spanish. The humidity etc isnt a problem as it is like that in Singapore.

My questions are more related to :

crime rates ? - I have read some comments that the crime rate is very high
General standard of living, housing etc
General comments on what its like living there.

Singapore is a very expensive place so we are used to paying a lot for everyday things.

I would be working in Coral Gables and have read that this is a good area to live.

Appreciate any help

Thanks !!

Doug

I have never lived in Miami, but I have visited a couple of times. I love the Coral Gables area, that's where I usually stay. it's close to Coconut Grove. there also is a group of blue-yellow macaws, that live in the area. i would love to live there and see those birds in my backyard (see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4vNllkVtvY).

some comments:
- love the tropical landscape in Miami. close to beaches, and the everglades.
- if you don't mind humidity, it's perfect
- I have seen lots of very nice houses in the area. If you can afford it, the standard of living is high.
- There are really a lot of people in the area that speak spanish. I was surprised how many. You really hear more spanish than english and I was frequently addressed with spanish first and then english. I think Miami is the shopping destination for many rich central and south americans. I quite liked it.
- as for crime rates: you have to know the area and avoid high crime areas. that's true for all larger US cities. i live in Atlanta which supposedly has a very high crime rate, but in over 6 years I never was mugged, my apartment was never broken into, or anything like that. i live in a good area, and frequently walk around during the night, and never feel unsafe. it just depends on the area you live in.