American considering move

Hi everyone,

I am an American (currently living in France), and am considering a job offer to work at a university in Shenzhen. I have never been to China, and have no clue what life if like there (especially for an American in Shenzhen). Any help/advice that anyone can provide regarding life there is greatly appreciated, regardless of what country you come from.

Thanks.

Hi BizProf,

If you have never come to china, maybe it is a good opportunity for you to know about China and even the Asia. It is always amazing to discover what you have never seen or heard, and with it your life will be full of different colors! Life needs discovery and adventure! right? :P

If you have some questions about shenzhen, please feel free to contact me by sending me a text. You are always welcome!

Good luck!

Kind regards,
Jerry

Doc., shenzhen is divided into 5 districts, luohu is the oldest, messy but convenient, futian is the headquarters of many corporates, neat and convenient too, shenzhen university is located at nanshan.

Did you ever accept the position and move to SZ? I was wondering how you found it...

Hi everyone,

I did accept the position and am moving in February. Thanks for the input.

Also, I found the job on the Academy of Management job posting website.

BizProf

Thinking about moving to Shenzhen myself from Beijing-also an American! Was wondering how you are finding Shenzhen? I just got back from a 5 day stay and liked it, but all the info I read from expats living in the city has me reconsidering! any info would be appreciated!

I like it just fine. I have never been to Beijing, so I can't compare, but the weather is great and Hong Kong is a $5 taxi ride away.

2 of the things that attracted me to the city! But so many have commented on a lacking social aspect and was wondering if there was any merit to it? Do you have foreigner friends? Chinese friends? What do you/is there to do for fun?

I was only there for 3 weeks in February. The people I know are from the school that I work at. I am married, but have heard of some areas that have bars/clubs if that is what you are looking for.

ok thanks!

There is a lot of social activity and a lot of expats.   Most single expats live around the Futian area as it is the "downtown" area with plenty of bars, clubs and restaurants.

Also a lot of expats live in the Shekou area as it is a compact location with many expats - more family oriented as the main schools are nearby.

Dial an Angel is an expat owned and operated relocation and real estate company that only deals with expats and has moved hundreds to Shenzhen in the last seven years.  Tim and Harry (expats) have many years of living in China so can help you settle in.

Perfect thanks! Have a couple friends that I think are heading there before me, I will let them know!

Hi,how is life in Shenzhen,nice to know you and I am new here,would like to meet new friends,it is always to meet new people and share nice things togetehr.Aren't we?