5 good reasons for living in Indonesia

The atmosphere is amazing. You should definitely experience it!

I've just reviewed this topic and, even with deleted posts, one thing becomes clear.
The attitude of the individual expat is the key to enjoying the country.
Perhaps I'm lucky because I've seen both village and city life.
As for city life, I've seen 'normal' stuff (normal for many different people) and what the inside of the bule bubble looks like (it's rubbish).
Yes, Indonesia is full of faults and full of problems but I see a country that's struggling to improve itself and a people willing to try to make their country the best it can be.
Those people are friendly, regardless of if they think they can sell you something or not, and are almost always willing to help a stranger.
I may be a foreigner here but Indonesia is my adopted country and I want to see it and its people be the best they can be.

Viva Indonesia.

“The attitude of the individual expat is the key to enjoying the country.”

YES!  Spot on, Fred!

Or to use a phrase I often quip, “many are called, but few are chosen.”

Indonesia is not for everyone, nor will it, or should it be for everyone.

Like you and having the freedom to live anywhere else on this planet, Indonesia is home sweet home.

Ubudian wrote:

Like you and having the freedom to live anywhere else on this planet, Indonesia is home sweet home.

There are many places I could easily go and live but, apart from the idea of a holiday, I'm not all that bothered about moving.
I really enjoy life in Indonesia and, apart from major events such as serious political or religious extremists taking over the country; I see no reason to leave.

That, sadly is always a possibility but I hope it never happens as such people would destroy this wonderful country and spell disaster for so many good people.
I'm really hoping for another president like SBY when the time comes.

He's done a lot for Indonesia and I would love to see his good work continued.

Married to a Balinese and raising our three sons within Bali Kampung ideologies, traditions and culture leaves us no desire to consider living anywhere else and all the incentive we need to do whatever we can to see that Bali remains Bali.

Thank the Gods we are hardly alone with this deep desire and commitment.

The best part of life for us is the respect and love for family, which in our neck of the woods extends to the entire community. 

It's a sad state of affairs how in many western cultures the sense of community and importance of family is long gone, and the ills of that are plainly evident.

When friends visit us from the states we are often asked, “would you consider moving back to the US?”  My answer is always the same, “nope, not even at gun point.”

Ubudian wrote:

It's a sad state of affairs how in many western cultures the sense of community and importance of family is long gone, and the ills of that are plainly evident.

That's true.
My greatest shock when I moved here was seeing how families stick together. I've married a village, well, about half of one.
The bottom half of my old village were almost all family of some sort.
Third cousins are treated as brothers.

Pretty good really.

I have to admit as part of my self therapy for anger management (that old New York sort of thing) I do tune in Fox News every now and then to see what those vagabonds, Sean Hannity and Bill O'Rielly are up to.  My three boys get a big kick out of watching me yell at the TV set…better the TV than them they reckon. 

I try to be nice when American friends come to visit and ask if we'd ever move back to the US and not say “are you f…king nuts?”  But they get the point, and after a few weeks on Bali it's sometimes near impossible to get rid of them!     

As you said earlier, viva Indonesia!

It ain't for everybody, but thank the Gods for that! :D

Ubudian wrote:

What do you mean, "not necessarily?"

Maybe I should be more specific.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
Ubudian wrote:

That way you'll get useful advise.

Not necessarily.

Don't know about the Hong Kong board Hailey, but here on the Indonesia board you can always count on useful advice.  ;)

Nice people, many culture, nice weather espcially in bandung city, the cost is more cheap to live in here, and the personality of indonesian people.

@Julien To be frank, Indonesia has so many reasons to make you fall in love with it. I am sure many people have mentioned how friendly and kind Indonesian people are.

Moderated by Julien 2 years ago
Reason : advertising is not allowed
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello I knew Indonesia 2 years ago I fell in love with it I want to take the plunge and expatriate myself what conditions are needed is what type of visa thank you cordially

Hello I knew Indonesia 2 years ago I fell in love with it I want to take the plunge and expatriate myself what conditions are needed is what type of visa thank you cordially

- @tena7871
 We need more details. 

Employed or retired

Married to an Indonesian

?

Hello I am 60 years old I am a single temporary worker without children thank you in advance for your answer cordially

Hello I am 60 years old I am a temporary employee and single without children

At 60, a retirement visa is possible if you meet the conditions. However, no work is allowed.

Hello first of all I want to stay 6 months what type of visa would I need thank you cordially

1. Nice food
2. Good weather
3. Very good waves
4. Gojek
5. Learning balinese
IMHO...I'd leave off your point #5..."learning Balinese."  Why?  There are three distinct levels of the language, and it's only useful with the Balinese...cutting you off to the greater majority of Indonesians.  Learn Indonesian instead.  1f609.svg
I sort of agree with the comments from Roy about learning Balinese.

From a purely local point of view, and if your goal is to learn more about local culture through language, it's a good idea.

However, if your goal is communication with Indonesians in Bali, go for the Indonesian language.

As with many areas of Indonesia, especially where business of whatever sort is to be had, you find a mix of Indonesians from Papua to Aceh live there, and the vast majority of them will use Indonesian as a common language.
Thanks Ubudian. I'm already fluent in Indonesian. I learn languages wherever I live and Balinese is what I am currently learning and it's fascinating. I have a teacher and speak it with my Balinese family here.