5 good reasons for living in Sweden

Hi,

if someone asks you the best reasons for making the choice to live and stay in Sweden, what would be your top 5?

Thanks in advance for participating,

Julien

1. The history 2. The Food 3. The Geography 4. Cost of Living

How much have you been around.I have lived here for 23 years.  Sweden pays the second highest tax in the world. The cost of living is high. The food is bland and do you know very much about other cultures and their history.

Five good reasons for living in Sweden would be the political system works well, the air is clean,the Universities are free, the crime is low compared to other countries and of course free health care: Mind you the people are not very open friendly and rather cold, even snobby.

Mind you the people are not very open friendly and rather cold, even snobby

Wow, I am surprised by that.  Is this a common opinion? 

I have only been on holiday which may well be the reason for my difference experience but we were rather overwhelmed at how friendly the locals were.  Everyone was more than willing to help us, chat and put themselves out for us.

It is funny as your statement meets nearer what I found in Germany on initial meetings and my German husband agrees.  Once Germans get to know you they are then friendly but just very reserved at first giving the 'rather cold' impression.  They also do not seem to appreciated being spoken to in English whether they speak it or not.  In Sweden we found everyopne spoke just as good English as me and were happy to do so.

I respect your opinion, but visiting and living in a country are two every different things.

Carmen,

You're right, Swedes can be a bit frosty and brusk, particularly in Stockholm and in the depths of winter.  I think people are more open if you speak the language, or at least try and speak swedish.  But, I think this is true for many large cities though so that doesn't really bother me.  As far as the taxes and cost of living, I came from San Francisco, where my partner and I live now in Söderhamn, to me it is downright cheap.  The taxes, yes are higher than in the US but you do get alot for your money.  I suppose if you added up what everything you have to pay for in the US ( Health Insurance, Educations, etc.) I would venture to say that we pay less then Americans do.  As far as the cost of groceries, I actually think i pay less here than in San Francisco.  The only thing that really hurts is the cost of fuel, in San Francisco, it cost me about $57-$60 to fill my car up, here it cost almost double that, my last tank of gas was   about $110.  If gas was that high in the US there'd be riots in the streets.

Just five... Hmm...

1. Beautiful scenery
2. Friendly, helpful and welcoming locals
3. Food quality
4. Lack of pollution/cleanliness of streets
5. Most people speak fluent English and have no problem switching languages for you, which really eases the way whilst you're learning.

My answers come from my experiences of currently living in Sweden (Uppsala), and visiting regularly for the two years before that. I love living in this country and only the expense gets to me at times, but it's so worth it.
I can walk down the main road, breathe deeply and actually take in fresh air not car fumes - always makes me shake my head in amazement.
I have met Swedes who speak better English than some English people I know! The few who have been quiet with me admitted to being embarrassed that their English is not good enough, just because of a few grammar mistakes.
The diversity of people surprises me as well, I don't just mean different nationalities but also different styles and wide-ranging personalities; you can be who you want to be.
Their language is so melodic, it's lovely to listen to.
It is definitely one of the best countries in which to live.